Contribute to Our Newest Book! Have a great teen programming idea that’s inexpensive? (Like, less than $100.) You could have it published in Cool Teen Programs under $100, edited by Jenine Lillian. You can find the questionnaire for the form online at www.tinyurl.com/under100 and send it to email@example.com by Nov. 20. Those whose programs are chosen for publication will be notified by Jan. 16.
YALSA’s Hitting the Road: We want to have a YALSA presence at a library conference in every state in 2009! If you’re planning on attending your state’s public or school library association conference in 2009 and are willing to volunteer some of your time to represent YALSA, we want to hear from you. The deadline to volunteer is Friday, November 14. You don’t need to be a teen services expert or a long-time memberâ€”you just need to have some enthusiasm and some time to volunteer. Apply for one of these options: host a social event, present a program or staff an exhibit booth. Learn more at the YALSA Road Trip wiki.
Find out more news from the YALSA Office after the jump.
Midwinter Registration Now Open: Advanced registration is now available for the ALA Midwinter Meeting in Denver, Jan. 23-28! Register for Midwinter by Dec. 5 and save over onsite registration prices. In addition, if you purchased 2009 bundled registration, you were not able to register for special events like YALSA’s Serving Today’s Diverse Teens Institute or the YALSA Mixer and Tech Playground on Jan. 23. If you’re interested in attending either the institute or the mixer, be sure to visit the Midwinter website and sign up today. Want to see what YALSA’s doing in Denver? Check out the YALSA wiki.
Teen Tech Week Registration Now Open: Register now for Teen Tech Week 2009! Find resources for planning your event, activity ideas, products and publicity tools for marketing Teen Tech Week at the Teen Tech Week website.
Choose Your Own Genres for the YALSA Preconference: YALSA’s 2009 preconference will focus on genre literature for teens! Tell us the genres you most want to see covered by voting for the four genres’ that most interest you in’ our Preconference Survey.
Win $$ for Conference, Research & More: The Dec. 1 deadline for YALSA’s member grants and awards is fast-approaching! We offer more than $35,000 in awards and grants to our members:
- Baker & Taylor/YALSA Grants offer up to $1,000 for two members to attend ALA Annual Conference for the first time
- BWI/YALSA Collection Development Grant offers $1,000 to up to two YALSA members who work at a public library for collection development
- The MAE Award for Best Literature Program for Teens offers $500 to a librarian and $500 to the librarian’s library to recognize an outstanding reading or literature program for teens.
- Frances Henne/VOYA/YALSA Research Grant offers $1,000 in seed money for a project that responds to the YALSA Research Agenda
- Great Books Giveaway provides to a needy library more than $30,000 in books, audiobooks and materials donated by publishers in a calendar year.
Questions? Contact YALSA Communications Specialist Stephanie Kuenn.