YALSA is seeking a Member Manager for its blog. The deadline for applications is December 31, 2008. The Member Manager will be responsible for the content and look of the blog, and will work closely to recruit and oversee designated bloggers. The mission of the YALSA Blog is to provide a virtual space for publishing information about time sensitive issues and to provide a forum for members and the library community to discuss matters relating to serving teens through libraries.
List of Qualifications:
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Experience in web publishing, either in editing or writing, sufficient to enable the individual to recruit and manage bloggers, with responsibilities including but not limited to: identifying timely topics, maintaining a high standard of writing and ensuring compliance with YALSA’s Blog Policy
- HTML proficiency
- Familiarity with content management software including WordPress for administration of blog sites
- Dynamic, self-motivated individual
- Ability to delegate
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to set and meet deadlines
- Experience in library services to young adults
- Membership in YALSA
- Communicate with bloggers and the YALSA Office on a regular basis in order to generate ideas for content, assign posting topics, and discuss blog management.
- Review and edit audio and video content submitted to the blog to make sure the quality is acceptable and that it includes YALSA branding prior to posting.
- Manage blog postings daily to guarantee quality of content and appropriate tagging and category identification.
- Manage comments and spam daily in order to guarantee that the blog content is appropriate.
- Recruit bloggers on a regular basis
- Meet with and provide any necessary training to bloggers at ALA’s Annual Conference and Midwinter meeting
- Attend the All Committee meeting at Midwinter and Annual to recruit bloggers and inform committees about the blog
- Write reports prior to the Annual Conference and Midwinter meeting for submission to the YALSA Board.
- Work with YALSA and ALA Office staff as appropriate to update and manage blog software.
- Keep track of add-ons and plug-ins to blog software to make sure they are up to date and to add to blog as necessary.
- Work with the YALS and YAttitudes editors as appropriate to coordinate dissemination of information to members and the library community.
- Answer questions and inquiries about the blog.
- Follow all established blog policies and guidelines, enforce them as necessary and periodically conduct a review of them to ensure currency.
The Member Manager will be selected by the YALSA Executive Committee by March 2, 2009. The term of the appointment is two years beginning in July 2009. The Member Manager will receive an honorarium of $500 per year plus $500 towards travel to each Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting while serving as Member Manager. Candidates should send a cover letter and resume, which includes writing and web publishing experiences to:
Beth Yoke, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All resumes, etc. must be submitted via email. For further information contact Beth Yoke by email or phone: 1-800-545-2433, extension 4391. The deadline for submission is December 31, 2008.