In this first in our podcasts from the YALSA YA Lit Symposium, Lindsey Dunn talks with a variety of attendees about their experience at the event. Conversations took place at the YALSA receptions on Friday and Saturday evenings, the genre lunch, and following some of the Symposium programs.
Topics covered include:
- What it took to plan the Literature Symposium
- The graphic novel preconference with authors Gene Yang and Svetlana Chmakova
- Mitali Perkins program on diversity in teen literature
- The program on intellectual freedom and teen books with Barry Lyga, Coe Booth, and Julie Ann Peters
- The genre lunch with a variety of authors including Terry Trueman, Patrick Jones, and Helen Hemphill
- Joel Shoemaker’s Inside the Author’s Studio with Gene Yang and Terry Trueman
- Learning about fanfiction and fandom and how to integrate fan culture into library programs & services.
- The value of the Lit Symposium to attendees