[UPDATED 1/24/09: I added information about the 8 candidates we’re seeking for the Excellence in Nonfiction Award Committee, and the Nomination form has been edited!]
On this Inauguration Day, a YALSA Nominating Committee member’s thoughts turn to the next election cycle. No, I’m not talking about the 2010 midterm elections to the US House & Senate, I’m talking about YALSA’s 2010 Election Cycle, for which your friendly Nominating Committee members are taking nominations right now!
Q: Who are my friendly Nominating Committee members, and how can I reach them?
A: So glad you asked! If you or someone you know is interested in running for YALSA office (or if you’re just curious about what it entails), please feel free to drop any of us a line. E-mail addresses are listed below.
Chair: Paula Brehm-Heeger, YALSA Past President, 2008-2009. E-mail: paulabrehmheeger [at] fuse.net
Member: Sophie Brookover, Librarian, Eastern Regional Senior High School, Voorhees, NJ. E-mail: sophie.brookover [at] gmail.com
Member: Molly Collins, Malden Public Library, Malden, MA. E-mail: mmcollins55 [at] hotmail.com
Member: Sharon Rawlins, Youth Services Consultant, New Jersey State Library, Trenton, NJ. E-mail: srawlins [at] njstatelib.org
Member: Emma Roublow, Los Angeles Public Library. E-mail: eroublow [at] lapl.org
Q: Where can I find a friendly Nominating Committee Member at Midwinter Meeting?
A: What a great question!
Look for your friendly Nominating Committee Members at the following YALSA functions:
- Friday, January 23: YALSA Happy Hour, 5-7 p.m. City Tavern, 1247 Bannock Street. Paula will be there!
- Saturday, January 24: Leadership Development: 8â€“10 AM: Paula and Sharon.
All Committee Meeting, 10 AM – 12:30 PM: Paula and Emma.
- Sunday, January 25: YALSA Candidates’ Forum, 10:30 AM â€“ noon: Paula.
Best Books for Young Adults Teen Session: 1:30-3:30 PM: Sharon and Emma.
YALSA Discussion & Interest Group Open House: 4:00 – 5:30: Sharon and Emma.
- Monday, January 26: Youth Media Awards, 7:45-9 a.m.: Paula.
- AASL/ALSC/YALSA Joint Youth Division Reception, 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.: Paula.
Q: So, for which positions are you looking to recruit candidates?
A: You are so incisive, has anyone ever told you that? Also, your hair looks great.
For the 2010 slate, we are looking for the following:
- Two candidates for Vice President/President-Elect (to elect 1);
- Four candidates for YALSA Board of Directors (to elect 3);
- Eight candidates for the Excellence in Nonfiction Award Committee (to elect 4)
- Six candidates for the Margaret A. Edwards Award Committee (to elect 3);
- Eight candidates for the Michael L. Printz Award Committee (to elect 4).
Please take a look at our Election Schedule for details regarding the lengths of terms for the different positions, and to take a look at when subsequent Nominating Committees will be seeking candidates for other offices, including Councilor, Fiscal Officer, and Secretary.
Interested? Sure you are! Now, before you do anything else, download, fill out, and send back the YALSA Nominating Form [UPDATED] to Committee Chair Paula Brehm-Heeger (that’s paulabrehmheeger [at] fuse.net). Paula or another committee member will be in touch with you after Midwinter. Thanks, and good luck!