In 2010, YALSA will launch a new online research journal. The association is now opening applications for the journal’s editor.
Candidates must email a cover letter, a resume which includes editing experiences, and two samples of published work to: Stephanie Kuenn, YALSA Communications Specialist, at email@example.com.’ All resumes and supporting material must be submitted via email by no later than Sept. 30, 2009.’ For further information please contact Stephanie Kuenn by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 1-800-545-2433, extension 2128.’ Please note that this is not a salaried staff position.’ YALSA’s goal is to have a Member Editor in place by January’ 2010 and to launch the journal in the fall 2010.
Nature of the Position
The Member Editor position is an appointment made by the president of the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), with guidance from YALSA’s Executive Committee and Research Journal Advisory Board. Extending for a period of two years, the appointment carries the possibility for renewal.’ An honorarium of $500 per issue (4 per year) plus $500 in travel support for each of two ALA conferences per year will be paid.’ The Member Editor reports to the Communications Specialist of YALSA and works closely with YALSA’s Research Journal Advisory Board, and is responsible overall to YALSA’s Board of Directors.
Purpose and Scope of the Online Journal
- To serve as a vehicle for disseminating research of interest to librarians, library workers’ and academics who focus on library service to young adults, ages 12 through 18.
- To provide researchers with a respected vehicle for publishing research of interest to professionals who focus on library services to
- To serve as the official research publication of the association, including but not limited to publishing annotated lists of
recent research from YALSA’s Research Committee, Henne Award-winning research and papers from YALSA’s biennial Young Adult Literature Symposium.
The scope of the online journal includes all aspects of library services to young adults at every level and for all types of libraries.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Must have the technical capacity to work in a fully electronic environment; knowledge of HTML, web accessibility standards, and online publications a plus.
- Editing experience in publishing or journalism, sufficient to enable the individual to solicit and select research that will result in a high-quality publication that addresses the diverse interest of the readership.
- Dynamic, self-motivated individual.
- Ability to delegate.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to set and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience in library services to young adults.
- Membership in YALSA
Duties and Responsibilities of the Member Editor
- Deliver to YALSA a final set of copy for each issue according to previously set deadlines, satisfactory to YALSA in content and form and ready for publication on the journal’s website.
- Set the scope and tone of the journal both textually and visually.
- Work with YALSA’s Research Journal Advisory Board to develop a yearly editorial calendar, to solicit content for the online journal and to facilitate the refereeing process.
- Work with the Advisory Board to aggressively encourage the submission of high-quality content according to current issues and interests in the field and maintain and develop positive relationships with authors and potential authors.
- Complete a review of all submitted content in light of the philosophy, purpose and general style of the publication.
- Oversee the refereeing process.’ Peruse manuscripts and reject papers that are clearly outside of the scope of the journal.’ Work with Advisory Board to send manuscripts within the scope to at least two reviewers.
- Correspond in a timely manner with contributors regarding acceptance, rewriting, or rejection of manuscripts.
- Supervise the editing of manuscripts (including rewriting, reorganizing, validating information in content, etc.).
- Work with YALSA’s Communications Specialist to determine schedules for publication.
- Prepare each issue for publication by planning the table of contents, writing introductory notes, preparing author biographies, identifying heads and subheads, providing tables, charts, etc.
- Secure copyright as necessary for articles and images and provide them to YALSA Communications Specialist.
- Thoroughly review and edit online drafts for both first and second passes.
- Communicate regularly with YALSA’s Communications Specialist.
- Communicate with the Member Editor of YAttitudes, YALS, Member Manager of the blog and Research Committee Chair to collaborate when appropriate.
- Attend ALA’s Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting, including any meetings of YALSA’s Research Journal Advisory Board, to solicit manuscripts and to assist YALSA with promoting the publication.
- Prepare bi-annual reports for YALSA’s Board of Directors, to be turned in one month before ALA’s Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference.
- Answer questions and inquiries about the online journal.
- Perform other relevant duties as needed.
YALSA Communications Specialist:
- Communicates regularly with Editor to provide support and facilitate work.
- Works with production team to maintain the template for the journal.
- Works with production team and the Member Editor to develop a publication schedule and comply with it.
- Handles all financial transactions for the journal.
- Oversees all communications with YALSA’s ad rep. Promotes the publication through appropriate venues.
YALSA Research Journal Advisory Board:
- Works with the Member Editor to develop a yearly editorial calendar, to solicit content for the online journal and to facilitate the refereeing process.
- Collaborates with the Member Editor to aggressively encourage the submission of high-quality content according to current issues and interests in the field and maintain and develop positive relationships with contributors and potential contributors.
- Works with the Member Editor to implement the refereeing process.
- Includes the Member Editor in any meetings of the Advisory Board.Assist the Communications Specialist and Member Editor with promoting the online journal.