Earlier this month, YALSA extended the deadline to apply to manage its new blog. The new blog (name TBD) will launch in 2010 and will focus young adult literature. We’re seeking candidates to manage the blog and help YALSA develop it further. The goal is to create a website that provides teens a resource – with blog posts and multimedia – for finding reading recommendations.
After the jump, read the original announcement, which includes job requirements, qualifications and information on how to apply. Questions? Contact Beth Yoke at firstname.lastname@example.org.
YALSA is seeking a Member Manager for its upcoming YA literature-focused blog (whose exact name is still to be determined) with the mission to provide an online resource for teens to use to find reading recommendations. This blog will focus solely on young adult literature and will provide teens with a definitive web connection to blog posts, images, booklists, and videos and more all related to teen reading. The deadline for applications is Nov. 30, 2009.
The Member Manager will lead an advisory board and together the group will be responsible for the content of the site. In addition, the Member Manager and the advisory board will solicit content submissions from the YALSA community.
List of Qualifications:
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, in order to develop content and communicate with potential content providers and developers. Experience in web publishing with responsibilities including but not limited to: utilizing video clips and video streaming technology, maintaining a high standard of writing, and ensuring compliance with policies created for the maintenance of the site.
- HTML proficiency
- Familiarity with content management software including WordPress used for administration of blog sites
- Dynamic, self-motivated individual
- Ability to delegate work and to manage a variety of contributors and volunteers
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to set and meet deadlines
- Experience in library services to young adults
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Membership in YALSA
- Communicate with the Advisory Board and the YALSA Office on a regular basis in order to generate ideas for content, assign tasks, discuss marketing and sponsorship strategies, and discuss site management
- Work with the Website Advisory Committee and the YALSA Blog Manager to create cross-promotion of all YALSA’s web presences
- Maintain communication with YALSA member groups whose work relates to young adult literature
- Maintain a YALSA channel on Blip.TV and YouTube to host and share video content
- With the Advisory Board review and edit audio and video content submitted to the site to make sure the quality is acceptable and that it includes YALSA branding prior to posting
- With the Advisory Board manage postings regularly to guarantee quality of content and appropriate tagging and category identification
- Manage comments and spam daily in order to guarantee that the blog content is appropriate
- With the Advisory Board recruit contributors on a regular basis, which may include but is not limited to: YALSA members, publishers, authors and teens
- Meet with and provide any necessary training to contributors as needed, including at ALA’s Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting
- Attend the All Committee meeting at Midwinter and Annual to recruit contributors and inform member groups about the site
- Effectively motivate, support and manage a large and fluctuating group of contributors and volunteers
- Write reports prior to the Annual Conference and Midwinter meeting for submission to the YALSA Board
- Work with YALSA staff as appropriate to update and manage blog software
- Monitor new technologies as they impact the site: add-ons and plug-ins to blog software, widgets or applications for hand-held devices, etc.
- Work with the YALS and YAttitudes editors as appropriate to coordinate dissemination of information to members and the library community.
- Answer questions and inquiries about the site
- Follow all established policies and guidelines, enforce them as necessary and periodically conduct a review of them to ensure currency
The Member Manager will be selected by the YALSA Executive Committee by January 31, 2010. The term of the appointment is two years beginning in February 2010. The Member Manager will receive an honorarium of $500 per year plus $500 towards travel to each Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting while serving as Member Manager. Candidates should send a cover letter and resume, which includes management, writing and web publishing experiences to email@example.com. All resumes, etc. must be submitted via email. The deadline for submission is November 30, 2009. Please note that this is not a salaried staff position. It is a member opportunity.
Please direct questions to Beth Yoke at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-545-2433, extension 4391.