YALSA chose five books as finalists for its brand-new 2010 Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults, which honors the best nonfiction books written for young adults between Nov. 1, 2008 and Oct. 31, 2009. YALSA will name the 2010 winner at the Youth Media Awards on Jan. 18, during Midwinter Meeting.
The 2010 finalists are:
- â€œAlmost Astronauts: 13 Women Who Dared to Dreamâ€ by Tanya Lee Stone, published by Candlewick
- â€œCharles and Emma: The Darwins’ Leap of Faithâ€ by Deborah Heiligman, published by Henry Holt Books for Young Readers, an imprint of Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group
- â€œClaudette Colvin: Twice toward Justiceâ€ by Phillip Hoose, published by Melanie Kroupa Books/ Farrar Straus Giroux, an imprint of Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group
- â€œThe Great and Only Barnum: The Tremendous and Stupendous Life of the Showman P. T. Barnumâ€ by Candace Fleming, published by Schwartz & Wade Books/Random House
- â€œWritten in Bone: Buried Lives of Jamestown and Colonial Marylandâ€ by Sally M. Walker, published by Carolrhoda/Lerner
More information on the finalists and the award can be found at www.ala.org/yalsa/nonfiction. YALSA plans to sell finalist seals to librarians and publishers to place on books at www.alastore.ala.org. YALSA will host a reception honoring the shortlist authors and the winner, as well as YALSA’s Morris Award winners, at a free reception from 8-10 p.m. on Jan. 18 at the Westin Copley Place Essex Center South.
Members of the 2010 YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults award committee are: Chair Angela Carstensen, Convent of the Sacred Heart, New York; Sallie H. Barringer, Walnut Hills High School, Cincinnati; Betsy J. Fraser, Calgary (Alb.) Public Library, Canada; Joyce K. Giuliani, Hayfield Secondary School, Alexandria, Va.; Andy Howe, Albuquerque (N.M.) Academy Simms Library; Dr. Jami L. Jones, East Carolina University, Greenville, N.C.; Tena Litherland, Webb School of Knoxville, Tenn.; Stephen L. Matthews, Foxcroft School, Middleburg, Va.; Jody Sharp, Baltimore County Public Library, Towson, Md.; Judy Sasges, administrative assistant, Sno-Isle Libraries, Marysville, Wash.; and Daniel Kraus, Booklist consultant, Chicago.