The 2010 ALA Elections close on Friday April 23 at 11:59pm Central time. Have you voted yet? If not, please consider casting your ballot for ALA Councilor-at-Large for candidates with a youth services background.
They are YALSA members working in the field, school librarians, branch managers, library directors, and library school professors, and as far as I could discern from their bios, include the following colleagues:
- Stephanie Davitt Bange, Director, Educational Resource Center, Wright State University, 3640 Col. Glenn Hwy, 116 Allyn Hall, Dayton, OH 45435-0001, 2001.
- Bart Birdsall, Media Specialist, School District of Hillsborough County, 2309 West Bristol Avenue, Tampa, FL 33609, 2002.
- Paula Brehm-Heeger, Library Services Manager, Central Region, Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, 800 Vine St, Cincinnati, OH 45202, 2008.
- Thomas Brogan, Young Adult Cluster Specialist (Manager), Brooklyn Public Library, 81 Devoe Street,’ Brooklyn, NY 11211, 2000.
- Ann Crewdson, Children’s Section Supervisor, King County Library System-Issaquah Branch, 960 Newport Way, Issaquah, WA 98027, 2001.
- Kelly Czarnecki, Technology Education Librarian, ImaginOn, the Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County, 300 E. 7th St., Charlotte, NC 28202, 2010.
- Naphtali Faris, Youth Services Librarian, St. Louis Public Library- Walnut Park Branch, 5760 W Florissant Ave, St. Louis, MO 63120, 2009.
- Marianne Fues, Library Media Specialist, Jefferson City High School, 609 Union Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101, 2001.
- Janice Greenberg, Senior Librarian, Jersey City Free Public Library, 472 Jersey Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07305, 2002.
- Erlene Bishop Killeen, School District Library Coordinator, Stoughton Area Schools, 1601 West South Street, Stoughton, WI 53589, 1990
- Melissa Johnston, School Library Media Specialist, Forsyth County Schools, 1120 Dahlonega Hwy, Cumming, GA 30040, 1996.
- Johan Koren, Coordinator, Library Media Program, Murray State University, 3201 Alexander Hall, Murray, KY 42071, 2003.
- Carla Land, YPL/ Children’s Services Department Head, Las Vegas-Clark County Library Dist., Summerlin Library, 1771 Inner Circle Dr., Las Vegas, NV 89134, 2008.
- Dennis LeLoup, Media Specialist, Sycamore Elementary School, 7878 E. Co. Road 100 N., Avon, IN 46123, 1995.
- Jessica Moyer, Doctoral Candidate, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, 2509 Ridgewood St, Menomonie, WI 54751, 2007.
- Robbie Nickel, Librarian, Sage Elementary School, 208 Boyd-Kennedy Road, Spring Creek, NV 89815, 1993.
- M. A. (Peg) Oettinger, Librarian (Retired), 23115 Anns Choice Way, Warminster, PA, 18974.
- Elizabeth Ridler, Manager Library Services (YA Cluster Specialist), Mapleton Branch, Brooklyn Public Library, 1702 60th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11204, 1994.
- Susan Roman, Dean, GSLIS, Dominican University, 7900 W. Division Street, River Forest, IL 60503, 2005.
- Doc Roth, Library Director, The English High School, 144 McBride Street, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130, 2004.
- Kevin Scanlon, Head of Reference, Green Valley Library, Henderson District Public Libraries, 2797 N. Green Valley Parkway, Henderson, NV 89014, 2009.
- Tony Tallent, Library & Arts Director, Boulder Public Library, 1001 Arapahoe Avenue, Boulder, CO 80302, 2008.
- Amanda Williams, Librarian III — Assistant Branch Manager, Austin Public Library, 835 W Rundberg Ln, Austin, TX 78758, 2005.
Apologies if I inadvertently left anyone off this list! Leave a comment and I’ll add your name.
The best way to have our concerns and issues at the forefront of the association is to ensure that youth serving librarians have a place at the table. Centainly, we must vote for the best, most capable candidates; if they happen to be youth serving librarians, it’s a bonus.
To vote, go to https://www.alavote.org/2010/ – a login and password was provided to you via email March 17 and again on April 6 – check your spam folder if you missed it, or contact’ call 866-909-3549 or mailto:email@example.com for technical support, or 800-545-2433 press 5 or mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org for other questions.
Good luck to all the ALA Councilor-at-Large candidates!