Since 2005 the Friends of YALSA (FOY) donors have given more than $25,000 to support YALSA initiatives and services that help the profession and teens. They have sponsored Spectrum Scholars and Emerging Leaders, created advocacy materials for members to use, and sent five YALSA members to ALA’s Library Advocacy Day.
As those YALSA members who attended Annual know, YALSA’s Financial Advancement Committee initiated a major campaign to encourage more people to join Friends of YALSA, called Give $10 in ’10. Financial Advancement Committee members were easily spotted wearing their 2010 sparkly glasses as they passed out information about becoming a FOY in addition to accepting donations. Thanks to the response of attendees, many of whom donated more than $10, more than$1,700 was collected. All money raised by Friends of YALSA in 2010 is being used for YALSA’s advocacy efforts.
For those of you who were unable to attend ALA’s Annual Conference but would like to become a Friend of YALSA, you can easily make a donation online at www.ala.org/givetoyalsa. Click on Donate by Credit Card. Once at that site, scroll down to YALSA and go from there. If you’d rather not donate online, you can also download a donation form to mail in with your check. It’s really easy to donate this way and there are a variety of perks listed below for all FOY members.
- A special listing in YAttitudes, YALSA’s e-newsletter, and on the YALSA website
- Subscription to the Friends of YALSA newsletter
- Friends of YALSA conference badge ribbon
- Reserved seating at the YALSA Membership meeting and for ticketholders at the Edwards Luncheon and Printz Program
- Platinum and Gold Circle members are invited to a special reception with the Edwards Award winner at ALA Annual conference (see www.ala.org/givetoyalsa for details)
- Platinum members receive VIP housing for ALA Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting
For those of you who teach YA classes or give presentations, you might like to mention Friends of YALSA to those who make use of YALSA’s materials, from its noted selection and award lists to the online discussion lists, and remind them that joining FOY is the perfect way to â€œgive backâ€ to an organization that helps them in their work with teens.
Financial Advance Committee Members Rose Allen, Linda Braun, Priscille Dando, Cindy Dobrez, Michelle Hamiel, Jason Wells, Ma’lis Wendt and Vivian Wynn are all to be thanked for their efforts in the â€œGive $10 in â€˜10â€ campaign.