Want to know how to bring in and keep teen advocates in your library? Have teens that want to help but aren’t sure how to focus the effort? Are set with talking points but aren’t quite clear on where to go from there?
Then join the YALSA Legislation Committee for it’s panel presentation titled “Teen Advocacy.”
Teens as Advocates
Articulating the value of your library’s programs and services for teens is more important than ever.’ You have the data and the talking points, but you need more.’ Learn how teens can become passionate and effective advocates for teen services. Explore strategies for working with your Teen Advisory Group on community engagement, including library advocacy.
Date: Monday, June 27, 2011
Location:’ Room 356 in the Convention Center
Featured panelists will be:
- ‘ Lauren Comito, an Outreach Librarian for Queens Library, an ALA Emerging Leader who has been instrumental in being a digital activist and grassroots campaigner for young adults and libraries.
- Christian Zabriskie, an Assistant Coordinator of Young Adult Services for Queens Library and the Founder of Urban Librarians Unite. He is one of the authors of Grassroots Library Advocacy: A Special Report, an ALA publication.
- Franklin Escobedo, a Branch Manager at the Mission Branch Library in Oceanside. He’ started out as Young Adult Librarian and continues his advocacy efforts within his library community and within YALSA seving on several committees and being the GLBT-RT Liasion to YALSA.
- Patty Wong, a County Librarian/Chief Archivist at the Yolo Library in California. She serves as Co-Chair of ALA President-Elect’ Molly Raphael’s Presidential Initiative-Empowering’ Voices: Communities Speak Out for Libraries and was named one of Library Journal’s Movers and Shakers in 2007.
- Danielle Driggers, ‘ grand prize winner of the 13-15’ year old division of the “Why I Need My Library” video contest sponsored by ALA. Watch her video here. She will be able to share first hand insights on how to involve teens in library advocacy efforts.
This panel will share stories, tips, and ideas. Today, advocacy for libraries is more important than ever. Join us for this valuable session!