Monthly YALSA President's Report â€“ August 2011
Below is a summary of activities that I have completed or am working on.
- Committee Chairs:
- Had phone conversations with several YALSA committee chairs.
- Participated in conference calls with the chairs of Strategic Planning and 2011 Awards & Lists Marketing Taskforce.
- Had a phone conversation with Linda Braun, chair of the Financial Advancement Committee, about ways to build up the' Leadership Endowment.
- Participated with ALSC and AASL Presidents in preparing and sending a letter to the chairs of the three divisions' intellectual freedom committees/interest groups.
- Hub Member Manager: worked with Executive Committee, Sarah Debraski, and Beth Yoke to interview the two finalists and recommend the selection of Gretchen Kolderup as next Hub manager. Gretchen accepted and began work immediately.
- Board Meeting: Planned for and facilitated the August 26 Board meeting via conference call. Draft meeting minutes will be available in the Governancesection of YALSA's web site by Sept. 6.' The main purpose of the meeting was to review Quarterly Chair Reports. Other major board actions were:
- the adoption of a social media policy for the board (available for viewing at' http://tinyurl.com/3nqqstc);
- the decision to establish a task force to create a social media policy for committee chairs and members, using the board policy as a basis;
- the decision to establish a STEM-focused taskforce;'
- the decision to establish an Advisory Board for the YALSAblog.
- Submitted first President's column for the Fall issue of YALS (to be published in October)
- Submitted article on YALSA Writing award for the Fall issue of YALS.
- Submitted article on Planned Giving for the Friends of YALSA newsletter
- Committee/Jury/Taskforce Appointments:
- Appointed members to fill vacancies on several committees.
- Appointed members to several new task forces.
Works in Progress
- Continuing to appoint members to new committees.
- Drafting a charge for the new STEM task force for Board approval, and then appoint members.
- Drafting a charge for the Chair and Committee Social Media Policy task force for Board approval, then appoint members. The Board policy can be viewed at http://tinyurl.com/3nqqstc.'
- Continuing to work with Board members on their self-assessments and learning plans.
- YALSA Board is currently reviewing draft mission statement, goals and objectives. Membership will have an opportunity to review during September.
Media & Outreach
- Spoke with Joshunda Sanders from the Austin American-Statesman about young adult literature. (No article has yet appeared.)
Important YALSA News & Reminders
- Submit volunteer forms by September 30 for YALSA Selection and Award Committees; President-Elect Jack Martin will be appointing those committees in October.
- Now through Nov. 15: submit a paper or program proposal for the 2012 YA Literature Symposium at http://yalitsymposium12.ning.com/
- Apply for a 2012 summer reading mini grant now through Jan. 1, 2012.
- Teen Read Weekâ„¢ is October 16-22, 2011. Register now to receive a Best of the Best Resource Pack, including Teens' Top Ten bookmarks and spine labels, monthly emails to help plan TRW activities, and access to' a free Teen Read Week webinar in September.
- Thanks once again to Priscille Dando and the Strategic Planning committee for their hard work in keeping the process moving forward.
- A big thank you to outgoing Hub member manager Sarah Debraski, who got the blog off to a great start in 2010, and managed it for the first eight months of 2011.
- Thanks to the Dollar General Literacy Foundation for second round of funding to support 2012 summer teen reading and Teen Read Week efforts.
- Thanks to the YA Lit Symposium Taskforce for all their work in getting the web site launched: http://yalitsymposium12.ning.com/
- Thanks to the Annual Conference Marketing & Local Arrangements Taskforce for getting all that great info online about Anaheim: http://tinyurl.com/YALSAannual12