Monthly President’s Report â€“ November 2011
November was a somewhat quieter month for meâ€”the lull before the storm of preparing for Midwinter, perhaps!
Below is a summary of activities that I have completed or am working on.
- Committee Chairs: Had phone conversations with several YALSA committee chairs about the work of their committees.
- Board Activities:
- Participated in Board Chat on the Strategic Plan (see below for details).
- The Board voted to spend the $10,000 BoardSource Innovation Prize money as follows: $1,000 to support the 2012 Board Fellowship and $9,000 to be added to the Leadership Endowment.
- Writing: Wrote and submitted President’s column for the Winter issue of YALS.
- Committee/Jury/Taskforce Appointments:
- Appointed members to fill vacancies on several committees.
- Appointed members to several new task forces.
- Continuing Education’
- Attended Social Media for Nonprofits conference in San Francisco
- Attended California Library Association Conference in Pasadena
Works in Progress
- Continuing to appoint members to new committees and task forces
- Continuing to work with Board members on their self-assessments and learning plans.
‘ Strategic Planning. The Board held an online chat to work on creating tactics to go with the approved goal items for the strategic plan. The Executive Committee also met by phone to work on tactics for the plan, and are now working online to prioritize the tactics.
‘ Media & Outreach
- Interviewed by NPR about teen literature for upcoming online piece
- Hosted YALSA Happy Hour at California Library Association Conference
‘ Important YALSA News & Reminders
- Apply for a 2012 summer reading mini grant ($1,000) now through Jan. 1, 2012. Twenty libraries will receive these grants, sponsored by YALSA and the Dollar General Foundation.
- Apply now for a’ Teen Summer Intern Grant’ from YALSA and the Dollar General Literacy Foundation. Forty libraries will receive $1,000 to support internships for teens to assist in 2012′ summer reading programs. Deadline January 1, 2012.
- Buy your 2012 Printz Calendar at the ALA Store. Proceeds support the Friends of YALSA. Buy them for friends and family who love YA literature. Committee chairsâ€”buy one for each of your committee members! Or if you are looking for other gift ideas, check out YALSA’s CafÃ© Press Store.
- In early 2012, look for several new YALSA initiatives, including the YALSA Academy on YouTube, and a new YALSA book award iPhone app!
- If you’re looking for continuing education, check out YALSA’s Webinars-on-demand, free to YALSA members.
- Sign up for YALSA’s December 15 webinar, â€œGraphic Novels for Tween Readersâ€ presented by Robin Brenner. Group rates available.
- Sign up for YALSA’s new self-paced online course, â€œConnect, Create, Collaborate: Supporting Teen Needs with Technology,â€ presented by Linda W. Braun. If you can’t attend conferences, online courses are a great way to keep up to date in the profession.
- If you are going to Midwinter, or live near Dallas, find out how you can give your library’s standard teen services an easy-to-implement boost at’ YALSA’s Innovations in Essential Teen Services half-day workshop from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. on Jan. 20, prior to the’ ALA’ Midwinter Meeting. Join YALSA’ for easy updates on providing readers’ advisory, homework help, teen space design, promoting and developing literacy skills and more!
- Start preparing for Teen Tech Weekâ„¢ by signing up for the TTW ning.
- Watch for the announcements of the shortlists for the 2012 Morris and Nonfiction Awards the week of December 12. You’ll have six week to read the finalists before the awards are announced on January 23 at Midwinter!
- If you are interested in an appointment to a YALSA virtual task force, jury, or process committee, be sure to submit your volunteer form now. President-Elect Jack Martin will start making appointments in March for committee terms to begin after Annual 2012.
‘ Thank Yous
- Thanks to Allison Tran and the 2012 Local Arrangements Committee for helping me host the YALSA Happy Hour at the California Library Association conference in Pasadena. About 25 YALSA members and others congregated to drink, eat, chat, and win great YALSA swag!
YALSA Membership: Total membership at the end of October was 5,298 members. Don’t forget to renew!
Friends of YALSA: Friends of YALSA donations in October totaled $75.