The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) is seeking a Member Manager for its YALSAblog. The deadline for applications is Nov. 1, 2012. The Member Manager will be responsible for the content and look of the blog, and will work closely with the YALSAblog Advisory Board to recruit and oversee member and guest bloggers. The mission of the YALSAblog is to provide a virtual space for publishing information about time sensitive issues as well as a forum for members and the library community to explore matters relating to serving teens through libraries.
The Member Manager will be selected by the YALSA Executive Committee by Dec. 1, 2012. The term of the appointment is one year beginning January 1, 2013, with the option to renew for a second year based on satisfactory performance. The Member Manager will receive an honorarium of $500 per year plus $500 towards travel to each Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting while serving as Member Manager. Candidates should send a cover letter and resume, which includes project management, editing and web publishing experiences to: YALSA at firstname.lastname@example.org. All resumes, etc. must be submitted via email. For further information contact Beth Yoke by email or phone: 1-800-545-2433, x 4391. The deadline for submission is Nov. 1, 2012.' Please note that this is not a salaried staff position. It is a member volunteer opportunity.
List of Qualifications:
1.' ' ' Strong project management and organizational skills
2.' ' ' Excellent verbal and written communications skills, in order to manage content and communicate with existing and potential content providers and developers.
3.' ' ' Experience in web publishing with responsibilities including but not limited to: utilizing video clips, audio, and social media, maintaining a high standard of writing, and ensuring compliance with policies created for the maintenance of the site.
4.' ' ' Familiarity with WordPress, which YALSA uses for administration of blog sites; knowledge of plugins, tagging, categories and other WordPress tools preferred
5.' ' ' PHP knowledge preferred
6.' ' ' Dynamic, self-motivated individual
7.' ' ' Ability to delegate work and to manage and motivate a variety of contributors and volunteers
8.' ' ' Ability to set and meet deadlines
9.' ' ' ' Ability to work well in a team environment
10.' Knowledge of library services to young adults
11.' ' Ability to work well in a team environment
12.' ' Membership in YALSA
- Communicate with the YALSAblog Advisory Board, Podcast Manager, bloggers and the YALSA Communications Manager on a regular basis in order to generate ideas for content, assign posting topics, and discuss blog management.
- Work with the Podcast Manager to review and edit audio and video content submitted to the blog to make sure the quality is acceptable and that it includes YALSA branding prior to posting.
- Manage blog postings daily to guarantee quality of content and appropriate tagging and category identification.
- Manage comments and spam daily in order to guarantee that the blog content is appropriate.
- Work with the Advisory Board on a regular basis to recruit bloggers, set direction for the blog, plan an editorial calendar, determine nominees for the YALSA Writing Award, review and update blog policies and guidelines and more
- Meet with and provide any necessary training to bloggers at ALA's Annual Conference and/or Midwinter meeting
- Attend the YALSA Work Groups meeting at Midwinter and Annual to recruit bloggers and inform committees/taskforces/juries about the blog
- Write reports prior to the Annual Conference and Midwinter meeting for submission to the YALSA Board
- Work with YALSA and ALA Office staff as appropriate to update and manage blog software
- Keep track of add-ons and plug-ins to blog software to make sure they are up to date and to add to blog as necessary
- Work with The Hub Manager, YALS and JRLYA editors as appropriate to coordinate dissemination of information to members and the library community
- Answer questions and inquiries about the blog in a timely fashion
- Follow all established blog policies and guidelines, enforce them as necessary and periodically conduct a review of them to ensure currency
-posted by Beth Yoke, YALSA Executive Director