This post is part of a series where YALSAblog takes a closer look at Learning Lab grantees from museums and libraries to learn how they engage middle and high school youth in “mentor-led, interest-based, youth-centered, collaborative learning using digital and traditional media.” To read more about the context of the Learning Labs, visit the first post in the series here.
Some of the highlights of this podcast include:
• How their Learning Lab is able to serve the entire system through an artist-in-residence program
• How the Teen Media ‘Labsy’ Awards motivate and acknowledge teens’ creative work
• Grants with the Heinz Endowments, Sprout Fund and Grable Foundation
• Using the skills the teens learn at the library to work in the community through the Hive Learning Network
• Extending the Learning Lab concept as an outreach offering to local schools