This post is part of a series where YALSAblog takes a closer look at Learning Lab grantees from museums and libraries to learn how they engage middle and high school youth in â€œmentor-led, interest-based, youth-centered, collaborative learning using digital and traditional media.â€ To read more about the context of the Learning Labs, visit the first post in the series here.
Today we will listen to a conversation about the Rochester Public Library Learning Lab, imagineYOU @ Teen Central from Tonia Burton, Youth Services Consultant.
Some of the highlights of this podcast include:
- Partnering with the Rochester Teen Film Festival
- Looking at the big picture which always circles back to what the teens want
- How Librarians and non-Librarians (artists/mentors) can work together
- Igniting all staff with the project
- Getting teen interest in the HOMAGO experience
- Adhering to the structure of â€œmaking BIG mistakesâ€
- What cooking classes have to do with digital media