Well, we’re just steps away from the closing date for the Strategic Committee appointments, so if you haven’t yet filled your volunteer form for YALSA committees, then please follow this link now and volunteer.
Once the deadline passes, the appointment process begins! And it looks a little something like this:
- I set up a call with my appointments task force to review the committees that we are appointing to, and what we are looking for in members to fill the various roles. We’re looking for a mix of members from across the country and from all sorts of different institutions, with all levels of experience and backgrounds.
- The spreadsheets are downloaded, shared, and reviewed by everyone on the taskforce.
- We build out lists of potential candidates, and then send them to Leticia Smith, YALSA’s Membership Coordinator.
- Letitia sends out the invitations to serve on the committee.
- Letitia collects the completed forms from members indicating their acceptance of the appointment.
- Once all the slots are filled, the appointments taskforce sends out notices to all those who weren’t appointed this time around directing them to the link that has information on all the ways to be involved with YALSA.
Steps 4 through 6 repeat constantly, as we work to fill all the positions. And don’t worry if you don’t hear from us on March 2nd â€“ we work through committee after committee, so it takes a bit of time to get through the 25 or so committees and juries that need to be appointed.
Whether this is your first time or fifth time or more serving on a committee, here are 5 things you can do while you are waiting to hear from YALSA.
- Talk to your supervisor! Make sure your institution will support you as you serve on a committee. Virtual committees meet via phone calls, hangouts, Adobe Connect, and more, and that means you may need someone to cover the desk, get other program coverage, or test technology to make sure it is up to date.
- Make sure that you are on the lookout for e-mails from email@example.com. Verify your spam filter or check your junk inbox to make sure Letitia’s e-mail is able to get through
- Respond promptly! There are 172 slots for me to fill over March and April, so we need to hear back from you ASAP to keep moving forward.
- Check yourself! Make sure you have the time to do this, and that serving on a YALSA committee is something that you want to do. This is important work that doesn’t just happen during conference calls or virtual meetings. Committees work year round, so be sure you have the time to do the amazing work you want to accomplish.
- Review the technology! If you haven’t used a particular platform in a while, be sure you update Skype, re-install the Hangout plug-in, update Flash, and all those other minor updates that pop up when you open an app. Check out the YALSA chair handbook on working virtually. There’s helpful information for everyone, not just the chair.
So, that’s the spring appointment process in a nutshell! Thank you so much for your willingness to serve on a YALSA committee, and do the work that helps YALSA make awesome resources and more available to members.