Last week we called on library staff and advocates to contact Congress to support school libraries, and many of you responded (yay!)! So far, there have been 2,971 emails, 446 Tweets and 39 phone calls. That’s great, but with over 98,000 school libraries and 17,000 public libraries in the U.S. we can do better! ALA staff are meeting with key Congressional staff later this week to ask for support for school libraries. Right now we need one final push from library staff and advocates so that when ALA meets with Congressional staff your grassroots support will be the evidence Congress needs to take action for school libraries and ensure they’re adequately funded in the ESEA reauthorization.
Here’s how you can make sure that happens:
- Go here: http://cqrcengage.com/ala/home
- In the blue bar in the upper half of the page, choose how you want to contact your members of Congress: letter, Tweet, or phone call
- Click on the option(s) you want, provide the required contact info, & submit. The letter and Tweet are pre-written for you, so it’s super easy! (but you do have the option to customize them if you want)
- Forward this message to library advocates in your community & encourage them to do take action, too
- Pat yourself on the back for a job well done!
For more information, read this blog post from ALA.