I can’t believe it’s already time for my first monthly president’s report! Tune in monthly to find out what I’ve been up to. Most importantly, a huge thank you to the YALSA Board, staff, and members who made Annual 2016 great!
Here’s what I’ve been working on since then:
- Appointments to the Edwards, Printz, and Nonfiction committees
- Virtual online training for new board members
- Assigned board mentors, board liaisons, and standing board committee members
- Wrote column for Fall 2016 issue of YALS
- Wrote YALSA Blog post on Presidential Initiative: Real Teens, Real Ready
- Worked with YALSA board to appoint Nick Buron to fill Linda Braun’s vacancy as Fiscal Officer
- Hosted first monthly chat with the YALSA Board to continue the work from Annual
- Contacted YALSA’s IFLA rep to discuss what YALSA information should be shared with the group in August
- Met with chair of presidential program task force to plan program activities
- Voted for ALA Conference Committee representatives
Works in Progress
- Appointing members to fill new Selection Committee Transition Task Force
- Gathering applications for Member Manager for Teen Programming HQ
- Filling strategic committee vacancies as they become open
- Appointing YALSA representatives to ALA groups
- Preparing for YALSA’s YA Services Symposium & Fall Executive Committee meeting that will be held in Pittsburgh
- Preparing for August 17th Member Town Hall
- Reviewing the strategic committee task lists after they are turned in by August 15.
Media & Outreach
- Interviewed by School Library Journal for upcoming article about peer tutoring
- District Days email blast to members
Stats & Data
- Membership for June: 5,076 (down 1.1% over this time last year)
- Donations for June $1,451
- Last chance to take the YALSA member survey–it closes August 5!
- Early bird registration rates for the YALSA YA Services Symposium Nov. 4-6, 2016, in Pittsburgh, ends on Sept. 15!
- End of Summer Publication Sale! Certain publications on sale through Sept. 1!
And THANK YOU to
- All of our members for all that you do to support teens and teen library services in your communities
- Candice Mack, YALSA’s Immediate Past President, for passing the torch and mentoring current President-Elect Sandra Hughes-Hassell
- YALSA 2016 ALA Annual Local Arrangements Committee for a terrific job coordinating travel tips and info and local YALSA events in Orlando
- YALSA Board for your hard work and dedication
- YALSA staff for making ALA Annual run smoothly, and helping to lead the charge for YALSA to meet the goals in our new organizational plan
Sarah Hill, YALSA President