In this 16 minute Snack Break learn how Alyssa Newton is integrating coding activities into the work she does with and for teens in her community. After watching don’t forget to sign-up for YALSA’s October 20th webinar on coding, libraries, and learning. Members can register for free. Learn more on the YALSA website.
Some of the key points that Alyssa talks about that we’ll cover in the October 20 webinar discussion include:
- Knowing what your goals and outcomes are at the beginning of the work you are going to do to design coding activities for and with teens.
- Being ready to learn with teens as coding programs develop.
- The importance of being flexible and trying things out to see what works for the teens in your community
- Focusing on teen passions and interests in the coding activities you work on with them.
- Working with community partners to support teen needs and interests
- Being OK with failure and being ready to learn from that failure
We’ve got a great group of presenters for the October 20 webinar and you’ll have ample time to chat with them about how to design successful coding activities with the teens in your community.
If you have any questions about the YALSA webinar or other CE activities of YALSA feel free to contact me.