Hopefully you were able to attend the recent YALSA Youth Services Symposium! If you weren’t, please check out the #yalsa16 twitter hashtag and this blog for posts about the symposium–it was inspiring! Please see below for my October President’s Report.
- Wrote a blog post about the current reorganization process of YALSA committees
- Wrote the YALS President’s Column for the Winter issue
- Completed documents for the YALSA Executive Committee meeting on Nov. 5 and prepared to lead the meeting
- Co-led the October monthly chat with the YALSA Board about standing board committee work and prepping for the symposium
- Completed my registration for ALA Midwinter in Atlanta–have you?
- Participated in calls with the chair of the Selection List Transition Task Force
- Filled vacancies on various strategic committees
- Reminded the YALSA Board of a need to communicate with members–look for YALSA blog posts coming soon from each board member
- Provided quotes for multiple YALSA press releases, including Teen Read Week
- Sent the ALA Awards Chair a list of YALSA members to possibly be appointed to ALA juries
- Reminded jury chairs and board members about the new process for filling juries this year
- Participated in many phone calls and email conversations with YALSA staff, board members, and committee members
Works in Progress
- Started discussion with the Board about a new YALSA logo
- Preparing for ALA Midwinter in Atlanta
- Preparing to review YALSA committee and task force quarterly reports that are due Nov. 15.
- Answering questions and working with YALSA board members as they prepare board documents in the standing board committees
Stats and Data
- September Membership: 4,983 (down 2.5% over Sept. 2015)
- September Donations: $1,350
Join me for the next YALSA Town Hall meeting! We’ll be discussing how YALSA can get local and help you in your state and regional organizations. It will be on Weds., November 16, from 5-6 ET via the online Zoom platform. Look for access information in the YALSA enews.
THANK YOU to the YA Services Symposium Task Force (chaired by Heather Sparks), YALSA Staff, presenters, and authors who made the Symposium awesome!
THANK YOU to the awesome YALSA Board members who have been hard at work in their standing board committees to make positive changes that will result in improved library services to teens!
THANK YOU to the great folks who make up the YALSA Executive Committee!
THANK YOU to all our members for all that you do to support teens and teen library services in your communities!
Sarah Hill, YALSA President 2016-2017