YALSA is seeking up to four teen programming Content Experts, especially those with expertise in STEAM, school libraries, ESL, outreach, or community partnerships, for its web resource, Teen Programming HQ.
The mission of the site is to provide a one-stop-shop for finding and sharing information about programs of all kinds designed for and with teens. The site promotes best practices in programming by featuring user-submitted programs that align with YALSA’s Teen Programming Guidelines and Futures Report.
The site also enable dissemination of timely information about emerging and new practices for teen programming; raise awareness about appropriate YALSA tools to facilitate innovation in teen programming; and provide a means for members and others interested in teen programs to connect with one another to support and share their efforts to continuously improve their teen programs. In its first year, the HQ ran contests where prizes were given out to “top” programs.
Content Experts will work with the site’s Member Manager to vet all incoming program submissions and determine which meet the necessary criteria for being featured on the site. As part of this effort, Content Experts will be expected to give timely, constructive feedback to individuals regarding their program submissions. Please note that the Content Experts will not be submitting the content; rather, they will be reviewing content that is submitted by others. Content Experts should also feel comfortable with social media and have an understanding that marketing the website will be a crucial part of their role.
List of Qualifications for Content Experts:
- Thorough knowledge of best practices in teen programming, especially as outlined in YALSA’s Teen Programming Guidelines and report, “The Future of Library Services for and with Teens: a Call to Action”
- Strong background in engaging teens and community partners to plan, implement and evaluate innovative and impactful programs for and with teens that meet their developmental, educational and recreational interests
- Expertise in STEAM, school libraries, ESL, outreach, or community partnerships is a plus
- Ability to devote a minimum of 1-2 hours per week for 12 continuous months to the HQ
- Excellent written communications skills and good netiquette
- Successful experience in coaching, mentoring and/or teaching other adults
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Ability to work well in a virtual setting, including using tools such as Google Drive, Google Calendar, Skype, etc. to coordinate work and communicate with others
- Ability to navigate social media tools in order to promote the HQ
- Membership in YALSA and a passion for YALSA’s mission
- High ethical standards and no real or perceived conflict of interest with YALSA or its portfolio of print and web publications
- Dynamic and self-motivated
Up to four Content Experts will be selected. Candidates must complete the online application form by no later than December 15, 2016. The term of the appointment is one year beginning January 1, 2017, with an option to renew for a second year, based on performance. Please note that this is not a salaried staff position, but a member volunteer opportunity. Please direct questions to YALSA’s Communications Specialist, Anna Lam at email@example.com.