- The board was very busy at Midwinter! Check out my summary blog post, as well as individual blog posts about the Leadership Fundraising Campaign, Protecting Teen Privacy, Bylaw Changes, the Executive Committee, and the changes being made to YALSA’s selection lists.
- Participated in many phone calls and email conversations with YALSA staff, board members, and committee members
- The January monthly chat with the YALSA Board was about having strategic and successful conversations–former YALSA board member Maureen Sullivan facilitated the conversation.
- Wrote quarterly YALS column about Advocacy for the Spring issue
- Sent letters of thanks to supervisors of award and selection chairs
- Filled vacancies on various strategic committees as they occurred
- The Board invited Heather Sparks to serve as the YALSA Board Fellow for the 2017-2018 year. Congrats, Heather!
- The Board adopted the updated version of their scope and responsibilities as presented in this board document, and directed the Executive Director to work with staff to ensure the statement is updated on the website.
Works in Progress
- The next YALSA member town hall (Theme: Social Action) will be on Feb. 28 at 2 pm ET. Look for login information in your YALSA enews.
- Through Feb. 15, I’m accepting volunteer forms for three new YALSA strategic task forces: Leadership Fundraising, Member Achievements Recognition, and Member Grants and Awards Evaluation. Please read this blog post to find out more and to volunteer.
- The YALSA Board is discussing Board Document #43 Re-Envisioning the Mentoring Program virtually since we ran out of time at Midwinter.
- Planning the YALSA Executive Committee virtual meeting in April and already planning ahead for #alaac17!
Stats and Data
- December member stats: 4,887 members (down 5.3% from this time last year)
- December fundraising: $2,575
- Register now for the webinar Using Media Literacy to Stop the Fake News Cycle on Feb. 16 at 2 pm ET! The March 16 webinar will be STEM Impact Through Youth Voice.
- Don’t forget to check out the Current Projects page to stay updated on what’s going on!
- Are you on a YALSA committee or task force? The quarterly reporting form should be completed by the chair by Feb. 15.
- to the YALSA Staff and Midwinter Marketing Committee for making sure that the #alamw17 ran smoothly!
- to all the YALSA board members and committee members who were prepared for in-person meetings at #alamw17!
- to all our members for all that you do to support teens and teen library services in your communities!
Sarah Hill, YALSA President 2016-2017