I am pleased to announce that all the chairs and committee members have been appointed for YALSA’s 2017 – 2018 strategic committees and advisory boards. A big thank you to everyone who has agreed to lend their time and talents to YALSA!
To help groups get off to a good start, Kate McNair (current Board member) and I recorded a training session that provided some basic information for committee chairs and members. We covered topics such as:
- YALSA’s new organizational plan with an emphasis on urging each committee to think about how their work will enable YALSA to address the goals described in the plan
- Development of 2017 – 2018 Committee Task Lists – the annual work plans for each committee and advisory board
- YALSA Policies and Procedures
- Strategies for working in a virtual environment
- The characteristics of a successful committee chair and member
- Which Board members and YALSA staff to reach out to for support for committees
On June 6th we’ll hold two live sessions in Zoom where committee chairs and members can come together to meet each other, to learn more about what we covered in the recorded session, and to get any questions answered.
My final two appointment tasks are to fill appointed positions on the Edwards, Nonfiction and Printz Award Committees, who will begin their work in Feb. The volunteer form is open until June 2nd, and you can get the details in my earlier blog post. I am also looking for individuals to serve on my President’s Advisory Taskforce. Read this Board document for details. Then, in July, Crystle Martin will appoint to four short-term taskforces that begin work in fall. For other ways to get involved in YALSA, visit the web site.
And as always, thanks for what you do for YALSA and for teens!