Annual 2017 is almost here! It’s been a busy month preparing for conference, but I’m looking forward to a productive and exciting week in Chicago!
- Led the May board chat about the 2017-2018 draft implementation plan. Look for an updated version coming soon!
- Beth Yoke submitted these comments on behalf of the YALSA board about net neutrality to the FCC website, urging the FCC to neither alter nor eliminate the Open Internet Order.
- The Board moved to approve the establishment of a President’s Advisory Taskforce for in-coming President Sandra Hughes-Hassell.
- Traveled to DC for my very first National Library Legislative Day and went to 7 meetings on the Hill in 7 hours! It was energetic and eye-opening and I enjoyed the conversations I had with committee and Congress representatives. Some of the meetings were held jointly with my colleagues from AASL, ALSC, PLA, and ACRL. You can read more about my day in DC in Beth Yoke’s blogpost.
- Communicated with YALSA representatives to ALA Committees about their upcoming meetings in Chicago
- Because Franklin Escobedo will be moving to secretary after Annual (due to Crystle Martin being elected to President-Elect in April), the Board filled the vacancy with Derek Ivie. Welcome, Derek!
- Completed quarterly report for executive committee
- Worked with the Executive Director on the first draft of the agendas for the meetings of the Executive Committee and Board at Annual
- Prepared an annual report to the ALA Council about YALSA’s achievements during the year
- Filled the opening on BFYA with Matthew Layne and the vacancy on GGN with Gail Tobin. Thank you, Matthew and Gail!
- Answered questions from YALSA members about committees, task forces, and various other topics
Works in Progress
- The Board is currently virtually discussing how to best utilize endowment interest.
- Finalizing documents and agenda for all meetings at Annual in Chicago. All Annual board docs will be posted here in the next few weeks.
- Assisting Sandra Hughes-Hassell, incoming president, with Board Training at Annual
- Finalizing agenda for Joint Executive Committee meeting at Annual with ALSC and AASL
- Preparing for the Membership Meeting/President’s Program about college, career, and life readiness for teens that will be held Monday, June 26, at 10:30a in W184bc
- Will attend PLA’s diversity-focused library internship training program next week in D.C.
Stats and Data
- Funds raised in April = $845
- YALSA Membership 4,813 (down 7.2% over April 2016)
- Visit the YALSA at ALA’s 2017 Annual Conference webpage to find out what’s happening in Chicago! Join Sarah Dessen at the Edwards brunch! Or Rep. Lewis at the Printz reception!
- Registration is now open for the 2017 YA Services Symposium, which will take place Nov. 3-5 in Louisville, KY. Register now through Sept. 15 and save with early bird rates! Housing is also open now through Oct. 1.
- Log on to learn about YALSA leadership opportunities on June 20th at 2 pm ET! Check your e news email for the login info.
- Members can reserve their free seat in the June 15 webinar: Creative Youth Development: Part One.
- Don’t forget to check out the Current Projects page to stay updated on what’s going on!
- to all our members for all that you do to support teens and teen library services in your communities!
- to YALSA staff and the YALSA board for your commitment to support our members!
Sarah Hill, YALSA President 2016-2017