Here are a few of the things I’ve been up to this month as YALSA president.
- Appointed Amanda Barnhart to be YALSA’s ALA liaison to various ALA groups and committees
- Reached out to YALSA members in Puerto Rico and Houston who were impacted by recent hurricanes
- Communicated with YALSA leaders, chairs, members, and ALSC & AASL presidents
- Prepared and lead YALSA Executive Committee meeting
- Lead Joint AASL/ALSC/YALA Executive Committee meeting
- Prepared for October Board chat and monthly President’s phone call with Past and Incoming Presidents
Media and Outreach
- Contributed to SLJ article “DACA’s Fate Still Uncertain, Librarians Reach Out to Dreamers, Offering Resources and Safeguarding Student Information”
Stats and Data
- Funds raised in Aug. = $1,631
- Member stats for Aug. = 4,765 (down 4.2% over this time last year)
- There is still time to take the YALSA member survey! We want to hear from you!
- Teen Read Week™ is next week (Oct. 8 – 14th)! This year’s theme is “Unleash Your Story.”
- Registration is still open for the 2017 Youth Services Symposium, Nov. 3-5 in Louisville, KY.
- Five symposium attendees can win $1500 for their Library – maybe it will be you!
- YALSA’s Competencies document is currently being updated and a draft is available for public commen
- Check out the Current Projects page to stay updated on what’s going on!
- To the members of the YALSA Nominating Governance committee (Sarah Sogigian, Vicki Emery, Jennifer Korn, Candace Mack, & Abigail Philips) for developing the YALSA 2018 Election Slate
- To the YALSA members who have agreed to be on the YALSA 2018 Election Slate
- To all our members for all that you do to support teens and teen library services in your communities.
Sandra Hughes-Hassell, YALSA President 2017-2018
Follow me on twitter @Bridge2Lit