I just returned from the YALSA Symposium in Louisville. It was great to meet so many YALSA members! Here’s some of what I was up to in October. If you have questions, please make sure to get in touch!
- Led joint AASL/ALSC/YALSA Executive Committee meeting where we talked about opportunities for collaboration.
- Prepared for and co-led October Board chat about how Board members serve as ambassadors for YALSA and the monthly President’s phone call with Past and Incoming Presidents.
- Attended YALSA webinar: “Youth Voice: Adult/Youth Partnerships.”
- Connected with YALSA reps and liaisons to talk about opportunities to strengthen ties with ALA and other organizations with which YALSA is affiliated.
Stats and Data
- Member stats for September = 4,797 (down 3.7% over this time last year)
- Double your impact! Between Nov. 1, 2017 and Jan. 15, 2018 any donation to YALSA up to $1,000 will be matched dollar for dollar by ALA! Find our more here.
- The YALSA Board approved a new version of YALSA’s Competencies. A quick and dirty free .pdf version is available now, and later in November 2017 they will be available as a web page and as a more formatted .pdf.
- YALSA is looking for a member manager of YALSA’s Teen Programming HQ.
- 28 libraries in 21 states (and DC) received funding to implement coding programs in their libraries as part of the Ready to Code Project funded by Google.
- Check out the YALSA Blog and The Hub for great ideas and the latest on YA resources!
- Check out the Current Projects page to stay updated on what’s going on!
- To everyone who has donated to the YALSA Leadership Endowment Challenge so far!
- To everyone who shared feedback to help finalize YALSA’s new guidelines, “Teen Services Competencies for Library Staff”
- To all our members for all that you do to support teens and teen library services in your communities.
- To the YALSA staff for all they do to support the Board, member volunteers, our members, and teens!
Sandra Hughes-Hassell, YALSA President 2017-2018
Follow me on twitter @Bridge2Lit