A common question that I get, especially from new board members, is about where funds come from to support YALSA and its members. The answer is pretty straightforward, although not one many people expect. Member dues make up only about a third of YALSA’s total funding. The other two thirds comes from product sales (award seals, books & e-learning); events (YA Services Symposium & ticketed events at ALA conferences); grants; corporate sponsorships; interest from YALSA’s endowments; and individual donations. Many people are surprised to learn that funds from ALA or the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) are not a part of YALSA’s annual budget. Actually, YALSA receives important services from ALA, such as HR and legal counsel, but not regular financial support. IMLS offers competitive grants that YALSA is eligible for, and we have been awarded two. If you’re interested, you can learn more about YALSA finances in my latest annual report.
All the funds that come into YALSA, from whatever source, are used to
- Provide members with services and support, like free monthly webinars and the summer learning grants we now have available
- Create and share resources with the library community, at no cost to library staff, such as our short, informational videos and newest toolkit about teen literacies
Our member grants, awards and scholarships are funded by a mix of sponsorships and individual donations to Friends of YALSA. Each year FOY is charged with raising $14,095 to support those grants, awards and scholarships that don’t yet have a sponsor. So far in 2017, FOY has raised $9,802 towards its goal of $14,095. For Giving Tuesday on Nov. 28, 2017, FOY’s goal is to raise the remaining $4,293. We hope you’ll help us with our goal and make a $10 donation. This year, Giving Tuesday is extra special because you can double your impact just by donating! With every dollar that is donated between now and Jan. 15, 2018, , ALA will match it, dollar for dollar (up to a $1,000 individual gift)! Individuals can donate to FOY in the following ways:
- Credit card via the ALA’s secure site (prepopulated with the default amount, but can be changed)
- Mail: use the printable form (PDF). Mail it with your donation to: Friends of YALSA, 50 East Huron, Chicago, IL 60611.
- Set up a recurring donation: the Network for Good’s secure website. (In the “Designation” box, type “YALSA”)
Thank you for your support of YALSA and for all that you do to help teens succeed in school and prepare for college, careers and life, and have a wonderful holiday season!