YALSA seeks a new member editor for its research journal, The Journal of Research on Libraries and Young Adults (JRLYA). The member editor will serve a one-year term starting July 1, 2018, with an opportunity for extension based on performance. The member editor will receive an honorarium of $1,000 per year plus up to $1,000 total in travel support for attending the ALA Midwinter Meeting, ALA Annual Conference, and/or YALSA Symposium during the term of contract.
The Journal of Research on Libraries and Young Adults is an open-access, peer-reviewed online research journal. Its purpose is to enhance the development of theory, research, and practices to support young adult library services, as emphasized in YALSA’s National Research Agenda.
Responsibilities of the member editor include, but are not limited to:
- Set and maintain the scope and tone of the journal both textually and visually
- Solicit and gather content for the journal with the help of the journal’s Advisory Board
- Manage and review work of contributors and communicate with them on a regular basis
- Supervise the editing of manuscripts according to the Chicago Manual of Style (including rewriting, reorganizing, validating information in content, etc. as needed).
- Serve as spokesperson for the journal
- Maintain the highest degree of integrity and ethical standards as member editor
- Attend YALSA’s Symposium, ALA’s Annual Conference, and/or Midwinter Meeting to assist YALSA with promoting the publication and also to solicit contributors
- Prepare reports for YALSA’s Board of Directors, to be turned in one month before ALA’s Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings
- Attend programs relevant to young adult library services at the ALA Annual Conference and recruit strong presenters to submit their work
- Work with YALSA’s Communications Specialist to determine schedules for publication and help maintain an appropriate web and social media presence for the journal
- Perform other duties as needed
Submit resume and cover letter to Anna Lam at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 1, 2018.