At Annual 2017, the Board directed the O&B Committee to investigate ways to measure outcomes and make the work of the organization more efficient and effective (board document #29). To that end, Organization & Bylaws is bringing Board Document #30 and Board Document #32 up for discussion at ALA Midwinter 2018.
Board document #30 focuses on YALSA’s existing chair manual and it’s need for updating. As chair of the Organization & Bylaws Committee, Melissa McBride is seeking feedback from the Board to guide the Committee’s work on updating the document. O & B would like to update the Chair manual to:
- Reflect the Organizational Plan
- Include more big-picture information
- Add outcomes focused content
- Update the virtual resources content
- Update the selection committee content
- Expand the responsibilities, communication, ethics and policies sections
- Change the language of the document so it can be used for Chairs, Conveners and Blogging Team Leads
- Add turn-key materials, like sample messages as well as examples of completed forms and documents that are thorough and well-written
Organization & Bylaws is also seeking feedback from the Board (document #32) on the role of the YALSA Board Liaisons, including seeing how the role can evolve to support YALSA’s more outcomes focused approach. A Board Liaison is a member of the Board who maintains a critical connection between the Board of Directors and a designated committee, jury, advisory board or task force. Board Liaisons are appointed by the President-Elect and assignments begin annually in July. The primary purpose is to facilitate communication between the Board and appointed member groups. The Board Liaison is the Chair’s primary contact for all governance related issues and supports the Chair with leadership of the appointed group as necessary.
Additional information can be found in the board documents. Please email Melissa McBride firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Looking forward to seeing you in Denver!