As you may know, the YALSA Board works year round. In January the Board spent its time preparing for Midwinter, Strategic Planning and creating, discussing & voting on Board documents virtually. On Friday and Saturday of Midwinter the YALSA Board began its Strategic Planning process for this year. The Board will work with the same consultants through May to create a plan to be used for the next three years. Keep an eye out for ways to participate in the Strategic Planning process.
The Board also reviewed a document brought forward by the Awards Oversight Committee. The document posed questions that had arisen over the past year and that needed clarification in the manual. A board subcommittee was set up to explore these questions and will report back to the Awards Oversight Committee by April.
The Re-envisioning TRW/TTW Taskforce also presented a report to the Board, which was reviewed at Midwinter. The Board liked the proposal for a one month celebration of the importance of Services for and with Teens in Libraries. The Taskforce was asked to continue its work to create the first new celebration.
Finally, the Board had a vacancy and voted to appoint Dorcas Wong to fill the available spot, until the term June 30th, 2019.
- Thank you to Linda Braun for editing the Spring 2019 Issue of YALS!
- Also, a big thank you to the members of the Awards Committees (Alex, Edwards, Odyssey, Morris, Non-Fiction, and Printz) for all your hard work in the lead up to and at Midwinter!
Relevant Stats & Data
- December Membership: 4,516 (-5.29% from December 2017)
- Funds raised for November: $2,053
- Apply to be YALSA’s next ALA Liaison. Applications are due April 1st.
- Apply for YALSA new Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship. Applications are due March 1st.
- Take a moment to read the full Advancing Diversity Taskforce Report, which is now available!
- Read the new EDI Plan.
- The Public Library & School Library Collaboration Toolkit, the result of a three-year collaborative effort with members of AASL, ALSC and YALSA, provides information, research, and examples to will help facilitate and incorporate collaborative initiatives. Make sure to check it out!
- Check out the The Hub for the the latest on YA resources!
- Check out the Current Projects page to stay updated on what’s going on!
YALSA President 2018-2019