Hi everyone! My name is Kelsey Ford (she/her), and I am YALSA’s new ALA Liaison for 2021-2022. I am representing YALSA on several ALA Committees, and I plan to share monthly updates on YALSA’s blog to keep you all posted about what is happening in ALA. Below please find some important ALA updates for September.
Committee on Library Advocacy (COLA)
- I Love My Librarian nominations are due September 27.
Committee on Legislation (COL)
- ALA continues to urge the Library of Congress to change the subject heading Illegal aliens to Undocumented immigrants. They hope this will be resolved before LibLearnX in January.
- As most of you have probably heard, LibLearnX will be virtual.
- If you submitted a proposal to LibLearnX, decisions will be made sometime in October. Watch your email as you may be contacted to confirm that you are able and willing to present virtually.
- Program proposal submissions for the 2022 ALA Annual Conference are due on October 1.
Freedom to Read Foundation (FTRF)
- For those of you following the news about the diverse book ban in the Central York School District in Pennsylvania, this situation has been resolved and the ban has been rescinded.
- Banned Books Week is quickly approaching from September 26-October 1. There are many resources and events available on the Banned Books Week website. There will also be a Facebook Live chat with Jason Reynolds on September 28 from 1-2 PM EST.