YALSAblog is the official blog of the Young Adult Library Services Association and home to the Association’s journal, YALS.
Blog Manager: Crystle Martin, Member Manager
email: yalsablogmanager [at] gmail.com
(adopted January 2006, revised June 2008 & Sept. 2012)
(originally adapted from LITA blog policies statement)
The mission of the YALSAblog is to provide a virtual space for publishing timely information about emerging and new practices for library services for and with teens, to explore practices in related fields relevant to teen services, to raise awareness about appropriate YALSA tools to facilitate innovation in teen services, and to provide resources for members and the library community to support their efforts to continuously improve their overall teen services program.
Goals and Plans
A volunteer community of bloggers will be recruited from the YALSA membership to report on YALSA and ALA programs, and news of interest to the young adult librarian community.
Policies and Procedures
- Blog manager(s): A volunteer manager or co-managers, much like an editor for our print journals, to be responsible for overall blog administration. The manager(s) must be YALSA members. The manager is paid an annual stipend for his/her services.
- Bloggers: Bloggers must be YALSA members or staff, or teens 13 and older, who have been approved by the blog manager. The blog may have ongoing regular bloggers, as well as occasional guest bloggers for specific conferences or events. Bloggers are recruited by the Blog Manager(s) based on a person’s: 1) expertise in the topic to be blogged, 2) writing ability and 3) technical abilities.
- Blog Content: The Blog Manager(s) with direction from YALSA’s Board of Directors and input from the YALSAblog Advisory Board will determine specific topics appropriate for blogging. Committee chairs and YALSA members may also submit topic ideas to the Blog Manager(s) for their consideration.
- Acceptable Use: The blog is a YALSA-sponsored tool for use within YALSA and for outreach beyond YALSA. Lively opinion and commentary are welcome in blog posts. Bloggers must check facts, cite sources, present balanced views, acknowledge and correct errors, and check spelling and grammar before making a post live. Links to related posts are encouraged, but bloggers should post original content rather than merely reposting entire items from other blogs, lists, newsletters, etc.
- Comments: Comments are open to all but may be moderated by the Blog Manager and/or Blog Advisory Board. ‘ Commentary, opinion, and reaction to posts are welcome. Comments should be relevant to the specific post they are attached to.’ Comments that are largely advertisements or that constitute flaming, personal attacks, off-topic comments, defamatory comments, hate speech, political speech and/or anti-Trust speech are not permitted.’ YALSA reserves the right not to post or to delete any comment in violation of this policy.The YALSAblog does not remove or edit reader comments unless said comments violate the policies outlined above. Readers who wish to clarify, change or expand upon their own original comments may submit additional comments. The YALSAblog does not endorse links or opinions contained in reader comments.
- Pages: Frequently requested information, informational pages, etc. will be placed on blog pages as static information, rather than occasional blog posts.
- Blogroll/links: Links to ALA, YALSA and other ALA-affiliated websites and blogs will be provided. Other links to notable websites or blogs may be added to Links or Blogroll sections if the consensus is that they would be useful to readers.
- Copyright: Content on this blog would be governed by a Creative Commons license.