YALSA seeks an editor for its quarterly, online journal, Young Adult Library Services (YALS). The editor will serve a one-year term starting
July 15 Aug. 1.
The editor will be responsible for the textual and pictorial content of the journal, and will work closely with YALSA’s Editorial Advisory Board, member groups and YALSA’s Communications Specialist to solicit articles and information. The editor will also edit and proof all copy for each issue.
Applicants must be YALSA members, have editorial experience, excellent communications skills, and be comfortable working virtually with various digital platforms and tools such as WordPress, FTP software, and more. The editor will receive a rate of $500 per issue plus $1,000 total in travel support for attending the ALA Midwinter Meeting or Annual Conference during the term of the contract.
Editor responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Setting the scope and tone of the journal and its online presence both textually and visually
- Working with the member Editorial Advisory Board (EAB) to develop a yearly editorial calendar, solicit manuscripts and determine content and themes for each issue of the journal
- Reviewing, editing, and as appropriate, writing content for the journal
- Managing the work of columnists, contributors, reviewers, and online contributors and to communicate with them regularly (at least monthly)
- Serving as spokesperson for the journal and help maintain an appropriate web presence for the journal
- Maintaining the highest degree of integrity and ethical standards as member editor
- Attending ALA’s Annual Conference or Midwinter Meeting to promote the journal and solicit authors
- Communicating and collaborating with other YALSA member editors when appropriate
- Performing other relevant duties as needed
Send cover letter and resume to Anna Lam at email@example.com. Apply by
June 15 July 1.
YALS primarily serves as a vehicle for continuing education for library staff serving young adults, ages 12-18. It includes articles of current interest to the profession, acts as a showcase for best practices, provides news from related fields, and spotlights significant events of the organization, and offers in-depth reviews of professional literature. Learn more.