The (virtual) 2010 YALSA President's Program is now live.
By now you may have already heard about our fabulous panel...but just in case, here's a quick description:
- Media MashUp is a tech-based program that Jennifer Nelson created at the Hennepin County Library. Hear from librarians throughout the country involved in the program -- about the risks they took and the lessons they learned.
- FIERCE, NYC is a member-led organization serving GLBTQ youth of color in New York City. FIERCE members and staff talk about the risks they take, the skills they've gained, and the victories they've had as a result.
- Dr. Peter Benson of the Search Institute speaks about the new research they've done on youths who thrive -- teens who have identified their â€œspark.â€ As librarians, we have a role in helping teens identify their spark -- their passion. Fortunately, the Search Institute also gave us some tools we can use. Their Risk Tool Kit is a must-have!
We hope you'll check it out -- and respond! Comments are open on the various Panelists' pages, so please dive in and share your thoughts. We'd love to hear your reactions, about the risks you're taking, and the innovations you're bringing to the library world!
So you've heard that the YALSA President's Program is breaking new ground and going â€œvirtualâ€ this year at the Annual conference in DCâ€¦but you have no idea exactly what that means. Basically, it means that you get access to exciting content from a variety of panelists from whatever convenient location and time you select.
Be sure to bookmark our web site:' www.yalsa.ala.org/yalsapresident2010. Starting on June 25th you will have access to video posts from our panelists as well as related materials that you can download for your own reference. We want to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to be inspired by the great â€œriskyâ€ work with teens that is being done by leaders inside and outside of libraries!
Here's a sneak peek at the President's Program panelists and the work that's putting them at the top of our â€œmust seeâ€ list:
- Dr. Peter Benson, President and CEO of Minneapolis-based Search Institute [www.search-institute.org]. Dr. Benson is a leading authority on positive human development; many of you are likely familiar with the 40 Developmental Assets'® which are grounded in extensive research at the Search Institute. For this panel, Dr. Benson will share an overview of the latest Search Institute research on "thriving," a new way to define and understand the dynamics of healthy adolescent development. This inspirational description of the thriving research includes a challenge to librarians to take risks, and help young people take risks, to discover one of the 15 thriving indicators in adolescence: Spark identification and motivation.
- FIERCE, a membership-based organization â€œbuilding leadership and power of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) youth of color in New York Cityâ€ [www.fiercenyc.org]. You'll hear from staff and youth alike about the jobs, training, and experiences they are organizing at schools and in communities.
- Jennifer Nelson, a librarian at the Hennepin County Library [hclib.org], has been working with librarians around the country on an IMLS funded project titled Media Mashup. This project not only strengthens relationships between youth and their libraries, but also helps foster important literacy skills. Jen and other librarians involved in the project will discuss the risks they've taken as a part of the Media Mashup project and will explore why and how their risks were worthwhile.
YALSA Knows Risky Business, and we hope you'll check out the exciting, innovative President's Program at the Annual conference later this month!
Not going to make it to DC this year for Annual? Have so many â€œcan't missâ€ meetings or specials events you wish you could be in two places at once? This year the President's Program is going virtual! Like this year's theme, Risky Business, we're taking a risk by making the President's Program virtual for the first time. Now you can attend YALSA's President's Program from the comfort of your home!
So as we count down the days to Annual, don't miss your chance to be part of history and attend the YALSA's President's Program at http://www.yalsa.ala.org/yalsapresident2010!