I am honored to submit my first YALSA President’s report. My goal with this monthly report is to keep you up to date on the work I’m doing in my role as YALSA president and to highlight key association activities in which I am involved. Please let me know if you have any questions.
- Filled various openings on committees and task forces
- Welcomed incoming committee & taskforce chairs
- Answered questions from YALSA members about committees, task forces, and various other topics
- Wrote a blog post and email message about District Days
- Appointed and met with President’s Advisory Taskforce
- Inviting members to join the Advancing Diversity Taskforce that the Board approved
- Communicated with ALSC, AASL, & ALA presidents
- Prepared for August Board chat, check in with New Board Members, and monthly President’s phone call with Past and Incoming Presidents
Works in Progress
- With a $500,000 sponsorship from Google, YALSA is administering Libraries Ready to Code – a grant program for libraries to design computational thinking and computer science programs for and with underrepresented youth.
- Advocating! District Days are here and your congresspersons are home on break. Now is your opportunity to advocate for federal library funding (#saveIMLS) and speak up for teens! Find out how here. I made an appointment with my Congressman – I’ll keep you posted.
- Applications being reviewed for member manager for the HUB
- Working with the board and YALSA Staff on the 2017-2018 Implementation Plan for our Strategic Plan
Stats and Data
- Funds raised in June = $1,461
- YALSA Membership in June = 4,807 (down 5.3% over this time last year)
- Registration is open for the 2017 YA Services Symposium, Nov. 3-5 in Louisville, KY. Register through Sept. 15 and save with early bird rates! Housing is also open now through Oct. 1.
- Applications are being accepted for Libraries Ready to Code through August 31, 2017.
- Don’t forget to check out the Current Projects page to stay updated on what’s going on!
- All chairs should submit their Quarterly Report by August 15!
- To all our members for all that you do to support teens and teen library services in your communities, and especially for all of the out-going committee chairs and members whose work finished at the end of June.
- To outgoing board members Candace Mack, Nick Buron, Jennifer Korn, Gretchen Kolderup, and Trixie Dantis for their contributions to the YALSA board and for all they do to support teens!
- To Past President Sarah Hill and Executive Director Beth Yoke for their guidance in my first month as YALSA President!
Sandra Hughes-Hassell, YALSA President 2017-2018
Follow me on twitter @Bridge2Lit