When I first joined ALA in 2010, I didn’t know what Friends of YALSA stood for. I thought it simply meant: “YALSA is awesome” and “I will be friends with anyone in YALSA.” It was naive of me, but in my defense, I was new to the field and had just started library school. It wasn’t until I saw a list of names in a monthly YALSA newsletter that I realized what it meant. The Friends of YALSA are those who donate to these funds. The Friends of YALSA support over $16,000 annually in member stipends, grants, scholarships, and awards. The Friends of YALSA are likely to be highly passionate about YALSA and teen services.
As a YALSA member, you get access to hundreds of outstanding professional tools and online learning opportunities such as webinars and videos. You’re also eligible for YALSA grants, stipends, and awards.
However, as a donor to Friends of YALSA, you’ll help fund these member grants, stipends, and awards which in turn allow more librarians to do great work, which then increases the likelihood that they’ll bring back their experiences to share with the wider YALSA membership!
So here are more reasons why you should give to YALSA.
Reason #13: Webinars
Why give to YALSA? There are plenty of reasons, but professional development appears high on that list. YALSA members get free access to over 75 webinars which are high quality in information and relevant to your work with teens… plus, you can learn at your own pace and at your convenience.
Here are some recent and upcoming webinars:
- What I Stopped Doing: Improving Services to Youth by Taking On Less
- Connecting with Immigrant and Refugee Youth in your Community
- Content Creation Tools for You & Your Teens
- Cultural Competence in the Library
- Identifying and Serving Homeless Youth
- Welcoming Spaces: Serving Patrons with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorders)
- Serving LGBTQ Teens
- Ready, Set, Go! 30 Ways to Reach Reluctant Readers in 60 Minutes
- Community Collaborations: School and Public Library Partnerships
- Collecting and Vetting Digital Content
- Commence Learning! Prepping for College Readiness Library Programming and Services
- Life Hacks 101: Strategies for Preparing Your Teens for Adulthood
- Making the Leap from Summer Reading to Summer Learning to Increase Impact
- (Upcoming) July 21: Connecting Teens & Community Inside and Outside the Library
- (Upcoming) August 18: Connecting Teens to Mental Health Support and Services
More about webinars can be found: http://www.ala.org/yalsa/onlinelearning/webinar
“YALSA’s free webinars for members are a great way to squeeze in professional development if you can’t get away from your [library]!” -Ariel Cummins, New Braunfels Public Library
Reason #14: Toolkits
Did you know that in addition to all the various resources available on the website, wiki, courses, webinars, blogs, member communities, and other resources for members, YALSA has toolkits that features step by step instructions and best practices for a variety of hot topics for teen services? Check them out. These toolkits are available to download.
STEM Programming Toolkit (Word doc)
Teen Intern Toolkit (PDF)
Teens’ Top Ten Toolkit (Word doc)
“YALSA tool kits are essential to every Teen Librarian and helps me advocate for my teens!” -Dora Ho, Los Angeles Public Library
To view YALSA’s whole list of professional tools and online learning resources, visit:
Online Learning: http://www.ala.org/yalsa/onlinelearning
Professional Tools: http://www.ala.org/yalsa/professionaltools