Members of my Teen Advisory Group (TAG) are lovingly called minions. While it started as a joke I called my core group long before TAG got started, I decided to make it mean something when TAG officially began. The point reward system encourages them to get involved in the teen department beyond TAG and quieted the fights over who claimed the title of â€œtop minionâ€.
To become a minion you have to attend at least one TAG meeting. No matter how active a teens is, they cannot earn any minion points until that first meeting. Here is how the point system works:
- Come to a program: 5 points
- Bring a friend: 10 points
- Write a review for the website: 5 points
- Record a review for the website: 10 points
- Create a book trailer: 15 points
- Create a book poster: 10 points
- Submit something to the Teen Creations: 5 points
- Participate in Summer/Winter Reading: 5 points
- Complete all 3 levels if the Reading Program: 5 points
I do assign other points for special projects as well. For example, this summer I had the teens help me create the Summer Reading Promo Video; each minion that was involved earned 20 points. I’ve also given points here are there for teens that have helped me clean up, decorate the department, or some other small job I’ve needed done.