Over the next several weeks, Congress is working on a new federal education bill. Now is the time to activate your library friends and supporters and get them to speak up for school libraries! The last education bill, No Child Left Behind, did not specifically include school libraries, and as a result students suffered because schools closed libraries, cut library budgets, or eliminated staff positions. Right now we have a window of opportunity to right that wrong and help America’s youth. Congress needs to hear from as many people as possible about the importance of school libraries in supporting youth success. Provided below are two ready-to-use messages you can share out with your library supporters. Please do so today!
SAMPLE EMAIL, NEWSLETTER ITEM OR FACEBOOK POST
Studies show that strong school libraries drive student achievement. They help young people succeed in school and prepare for college, careers and life. Congress is currently working on a new education bill that would provide federal funding for the nation’s schools. They need to hear from you that it’s vital to include school libraries in this new bill. Your calls, emails and Tweets will be the evidence Congress needs to take action for America’s youth and ensure school libraries adequately funded in the ESEA reauthorization.
Here’s how you can ensure that happens:
- Go here: http://cqrcengage.com/ala/home
- In the blue bar in the upper half of the page, choose how you want to contact your member of Congress: letter, Tweet, or phone call
- Click on the option(s) you want, provide the required contact info, & submit. The letter and Tweet are pre-written for you, so it’s super easy! (but you do have the option to customize them if you want)
- Forward this message to library advocates in your community & encourage them to do take action, too
- Pat yourself on the back for a job well done!
For more information, read this blog post from ALA. Thank you for speaking up for youth and libraries!