Amanda Barnhart, YALSA President-Elect, is seeking volunteers for the following member groups:
Selected Lists Blogging Teams (Virtual; 1 year starting Jan. 1)
- Amazing Audiobooks Blogging Team
- Best Fiction for Young Adults Blogging Team
- Graphic Novels Blogging Team
- Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Readers Blogging Team
Book Award Committees (Face-to Face & Virtual; 1 year starting Feb. 1)
- Alex Awards
- Edwards Award
- Morris Award
- Non-Fiction Award
- Odyssey Award
- Printz Award
Member Award Juries (Virtual; 3 months starting Nov. 1)
- Collection Development Grant Jury
- Great Books Giveaway Award Jury
- Henne Research Award Jury
- Innovation Award Jury
- MAE Best Literacies Program Award Jury
- Outstanding Achievement Award Jury
- Volunteer of the Year Award Jury
- Writing Award Jury
Short-Term Groups (Virtual)
- Board Development Committee (1 year, starting Jan.1)
- Book Awards Oversight Committee (1 year, starting Feb. 1)
- Midwinter Marketing & Local Arrangements Taskforce (6 months, starting Sept. 1)
- YALSA National Library Legislative Day Taskforce (6 months, starting Dec. 1)
Learn more about the work of these groups and submit the Committee Volunteer Form (must sign into your ALA account) by Aug. 1.
The YALSA Board met three times at ALA Annual in Anaheim. Over those three meetings, the Board had some substantial discussions, set up some new task forces and ad hoc Board committees, approved two new committee manuals, and moved forward on several other items. For more details on these items, see the official Board documents at http://www.ala.org/yalsa/workingwithyalsa/governance/board/annual2012. The official minutes will also be posted in the Governance section of the website in the near future. The summary is below:
New Task Forces
- A president-elect advisory task force to work with president-elect Shannon Peterson on defining her presidential theme and setting her goals.
- An appointments task force to work with president-elect Shannon Peterson to help her make committee appointments during the coming year.
- A 365 Days of YA task force to create and disseminate a calendar of easy to implement teen services resources aimed at new teens services librarians, library generalists, and paraprofessionals.
- A state library association outreach task force to reach out to YA sections and roundtables of state library associations and school library associations to strengthen ties with these like-minded organizations.
- A youth engagement task force to find ways to involve teens in the work of the YALSA Board by identifying and implementing projects in conjunction with Teen Advisory Groups.
- A capacity-building task force to focus on the capacity-building goal of YALSA’s strategic plan.
- A task force to create a manual for virtual selection committees.
- A YALSA/ALSC/AASL task force to look at issues around the Common Core Standards.
Continue reading YALSA Board Major Actions at ALA Annual
The YALSA Board had a very full agenda yesterday for their first meeting of Midwinter and several important decisions were made, including:
- Approval of the Selected Lists Proposal. The approval of this proposal means that YALSA’s Best Books for Young Adults List is now Best Fiction for Young Adults. Also, the Alex Awards will be expanded. The Committee working on the Alex Award will continue to select 10 Award winners, and will also publish a longer list of titles that the group considers the best adult books of interest to teens published during the past year. All of the top ten titles selected by YALSA’s selection list committees, Continue reading YALSA Board Meeting 1/16/10