Blue Bloods

Blue Bloods by Melissa de la CruzSchuyler Van Alen, scholarship student at the posh and selective Deschune school, has always had a cool head on her, even when sneered at because of her thrift-store clothing when the norm is something from 5th Avenue. Her cool head, however, is slowly developing something more for one of the richest kids in Manhattan, New York — Jack Force.

And whaddya know – he tries to throw himself under a cab right before the first time Schuyler talks to him. …..Ooooohhhhkay…..turns out he’s an invincible vampire. And so is Schuyler. And her new best friend, Bliss from Texas.

It turns out that Schuyler’s blood is kinda out to get her — she’s a vampire. Well, only half, but that makes no difference to the something that’s stalking and killing off vampires, ‘cuz, you know, the Committee’s really been lying to them about their complete immortality…

Blue Bloods is a different take on vampires, and it’s very artistic in the way that it’s put together. de la Cruz has a way of stringing along the scenes that require your full attention (all through the night! But it was worth it. :3)

and

Masquerade

Masquerade by Melissa de la CruzMasquerade continues where Blue Bloods left off and Schuyler is hunting for her “grandfather” in Italy. She finds him and pleads for him to come back to get rid of the Sliver Bloods, but he won’t.

Then he does. And starts teaching her how to use her vampire blood. The downfall of all this blood exercise? Her human blood cells fight back and leaves her seriously weakened. Her grandfather believes that the only way for her to survive is to perform the Kiss to create a human familiar that she can feed off of.

Oliver tries to help her, but then again he’s only a human Conduit.

There’s a third one coming out in this series, Retribution, I think. I’m getting kind of antsy… :3

About goldragonix

NEJITEN FOR THE WINNNN!!!!! Might as well start scaring people away from the start. :3

6 Thoughts on “Melissa de la Cruz’s Vampires in New York

1. Angie Manfredi on July 20, 2008 at 10:06 pm said:

Who do you think Schulyer is really meant to be with? I like Oliver, myself. I just tell my readers that this book is the perfect combination between Gossip Girl and Twilight…and who can resist that mix? 😉 It feels like FOREVER since the last one came out, but I think the third should be just as crazy and hard to put down as the others!!

Thanks for writing this!

2. goldragonix on July 21, 2008 at 2:56 pm said:

Personally (and it’s almost like a guilty pleasure) but I kind of like Oliver’s kind-of carefree but still caring personality that makes him such a good foil for Schulyer.

A Gossip Girl parallel? I’ve only seen one episode of it (and that was MONTHS ago) so I really couldn’t agree/disagree besides the whole girl jealousy YOU-TOOK-MY-MAN thing going on…

October 28! Everybody squee when Retribution comes out!

3. Angie Manfredi on July 22, 2008 at 12:39 am said:

Well, I think we’re supposed to think that Jack is Schyuler’s one true love, but I think it’s SO OBVIOUS that Oliver is better, because he really cares about her and doesn’t get caught up in all the terrible, scary things happening. And, obvs, he totally loves her!!! 😉 Besides, Jack and Mimi have that whole….thing….going on.

The Gossip Girl parallel, to me, is that they both take place in upper-crust society, so if you like lots of descriptions about what characters are wearing/how they fix their hair or the kind of cool clubs or parties they go to and plan because they are just SO wealthy and SO famous and SO awesome BUT you also want a book that happens to have, you know, violence and vampires and mysteries too well, there you go, it’s got that!!

Right now I am reading a book called “Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side” by Beth Fantaskey, it comes out in February…and (so far) it’s like Twilight meets Meg Cabot!! What will they think of next?? LOL. (you can see a little more about it here: http://www.amazon.com/Jessicas-Guide-Dating-Dark-Side/dp/0152063846)

What else do you like to read while you are waiting for Retribution? You should post again with more reviews. 🙂

4. goldragonix on July 22, 2008 at 3:16 pm said:

I think that Oliver and Jack should have a showdown, and thus Oliver will beat Jack hands down because he is obviously cuter and doesn’t have that…thing…with his sister…angel lover…person…twin…girl?

Twilight meets Meg Cabot!? I’m like quivering in front of the computer in joyful convulsions of my favorite young authors! MUST READ.

And I go through almost any kind of books like wildfire–I just never remember to write ABOUT said lovely books. That being said — I AM TOTALLY MOTIVATED TO WRITE LIKE THREE POSTS RIGHT NOW, so catch you soon!

5. aligurl:) on July 28, 2008 at 10:11 pm said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    i want SCHUYLER & JACK to be together.
    even though Oliver DOES care for her and blah, blah
    I STILL think Jack loves her more than Mimi!!!

i think the third book is going to be awesomeeeee & i bet it’s going to a book
    you can’t put down until you finish it!:)

6. goldragonix on July 30, 2008 at 6:15 pm said:

But really, will Mimi EVER accept that? Won’t she go after Schuyler, screaming all the while about bloodlines and their twin/angel bond? And you have to admit, Mimi *does* have SOME kind of control over Jack and knows how to influence him.

Though, Oliver, being the gentleman plus he knows about the consequences of a human + vampire/angel (which one IS it?), and so if it came down to a fight he’d *probably* surrender to Jack…but Schuyler’s only half…so does that count? MEH I SAY OLIVER WOULD FIGHT ANYWAY, says the sucker for romantic-happy-yay endings.

Post Navigation