The program below is one of many featured on ALA’s online clearinghouse for school/public library cooperation managed by the AASL/ALSC/YALSA Interdivisional Committee on School/Public Library Cooperation. Visit the clearinghouse to learn more or share your own exemplary partnership!
Title of Program: Youth Outreach / Words on Wheels (WOW)
Type of Program: Public Library Visits to Schools
Age level: Elementary & Secondary
Description of Program: Outreach staff is available to share information about the library, reading and information literacy with students in all grades. Some of the programs we offer include:
- Website Introduction: we teach students to navigate the Library District website focusing on homework help, online tutors and tests, ordering library materials, emedia, and getting a library card.
- Nevada Reading Week Classroom Visits: Let us visit your Elementary classroom and share stories, information about the library, and the joy of reading when you celebrate Nevada Reading Week.
- Summer Reading Assemblies or Classroom visits: Reading during summer break helps kids keep their skills fresh. Let us get kids fired up about reading all summer long as we explain the Library District’s Summer Reading Program.
- Third Grade Wallet Visits: we can visit your 3rd grade classroom to share stories, booktalks and information about the public library. Third grade students receive the state Library Card Wallet with a special greeting from the Governor and encouragement to sign up for their own library card.
- We are also available for: Family Nights, Literacy Events, Career Days, College Fairs and other school events we can staff an information table or create a custom presentation to fit your needs.
Mary Nelson Brown
Youth Services Coordinator
833 Las Vegas Blvd. N.
Las Vegas, NV 89101