As YALSA member Beth Gallaway mentioned in her comment on my post about getting involved in YALSA at Annual, just before Midwinter 2010 I wrote a YALSA Blog post highlighting the fact that YALSA is made up of a welcoming and friendly group of people.

photo of linda w braunAs Annual is just a week away, really it’s just a week away, I wanted to once again point out the welcoming and friendly nature of YALSA members and member leaders. As I mentioned in that previous blog post, sometimes YALSA members can seem like a very cliquey group. But, that cliquey look is really because many of us have had the opportunity to get to know each other over several years and are excited to be finally talking once more face-to-face. If you think about it, the way we ended up looking like a clique was that sometime in the past each one of us walked up to another one of us and started a conversation. It can be scary and intimidating to do that, but it’s well worth it. If you are willing to take the plunge and walk up to a group of people excitedly talking during a YALSA event, you’ll find that what looks like a clique is a friendly group of people who are more than willing to bring you into the conversation.

But, it’s certainly not just the new person’s responsibility to do the hard thing and walk up to a new group of people, or even one individual, and say “hello.” YALSA members who are already active and already friendly with lots of other Association members, I’d like to ask you to look out for new people who will be attending Conference (and YALSA events) for the first time ever. Bring them into a conversation you might be having. Walk up to someone standing on their own and start a conversation. Remember what it might have been like for you as you got involved in the Association. Show those attending YALSA programs and events just how friendly and welcoming we are.

As YALSA has been doing for the past several years, Board members and staff will be ready to greet you at the Leadership Development and All Committee meetings. These meetings can be a little hard to walk into for the first time as they usually take place in large rooms and there are lots of people milling about. If you are new to these meetings, look for a YALSA Board or staff member at the door – we’ll be wearing ribbons that will let you know who we are – and we can help you to get started.

And speaking of ribbons, don’t forget to wear your badge at all events. As I mentioned in that Midwinter post I was probably one of the worst when it came to wearing my Conference badge when at events. But, I realized that without the badge I was making it more difficult for others to connect with me. By wearing the badge it’s easier for someone to walk up and start a conversation. Your name and where you work are easily visible. I can walk up to someone I’ve never met and say, “Hi Craig, we’ve never met but I’m Linda Braun. You work at (insert institution name here) I’ve heard great things about the library, what do you do there?” Just from your badge I am able to engage in conversation.

I’ve included my picture in this blog post so that you’ll know what I look like and can say “hello” at Annual if you see me. Anyone is invited to post their own photo in the comments so that more of us can start to get to know each other, at least by photo face, before we get to D.C. next week. The how to add images in blog comment image on the left shows how to add a photo to a comment. If you need help with adding a photo you can contact me or YALSA’s Blog Manager, mk Eagle.

I’m looking forward to seeing lots of you at Annual. I’ll say “hi” and I hope you will too.

About Linda W Braun

Linda W Braun is a YALSA Past President, the YALSA CE Consultant, and a learning consultant/project management coordinator at LEO: Librarians & Educators Online.

16 Thoughts on “Annual Here We Come: Part 3, Welcome!

1. Nick Buron on June 18, 2010 at 8:12 am said:

Looking forward to a great conference!

2. Mary Hastler on June 18, 2010 at 8:20 am said:

Annual is just a week away and looking forward to seeing everyone. – Mary Hastler, YALSA Fiscal Officer
    mary hastler photo

3. Stephanie Squicciarini on June 18, 2010 at 11:19 am said:

See everyone soon! And thanks to everyone who is making the trip during these challenging times! Stephanie Squicciarini, YALSA Board

4. Sarah Flowers on June 18, 2010 at 11:52 am said:

Looking forward to meeting more of you in D.C. –Sarah Flowers, incoming YALSA President-Elect.

5. Also looking forward to meeting new YALSA folks! (And seeing old friends, too, of course…now I suddenly have that song we used to sing at the end of Girl Scout meetings in my head.)

6. Francisca Goldsmith on June 18, 2010 at 12:20 pm said:

New faces and old face-er, known faces, I am looking forward to seeing you all!

7. Jessica on June 18, 2010 at 12:45 pm said:

Can’t wait to see everyone. Come and ask me about the new online journal, Journal of Research on Libraries and Young Adults

8. I will be squirreled away in Alex Award committee meetings for a good portion of my time, but hope to see new faces and familiar friends at the following. Don’t be shy 🙂 say hi!

YALSA Happy Hour: Fri 5-7pm at Old Dominion Brew House, 1219 9th Street, NW

Open Gaming Night: Fri 7:30-10pm, Renaissance, 999 Ninth St NW

Apex Night Club: ALA Dance Party! Fri starting at 10PM, 1415 22nd St NW

YALSA Leadership Development (Sat 8-10am) & All-Committee (Sat 10:30am-12noon) WCC-207A/B MAR Gold K

2010 Alex Award program featuring David Small Sun 10:30am-12noon, WCC 150B

YALSA membership meeting and District Days/Advocacy session Mon 1:30-3:30pm, WCC 140A/B

Rally on the Hill, Tue 11am

9. Shannon on June 18, 2010 at 2:55 pm said:

Looking forward to catching up and meeting new colleagues!
    –Shannon Peterson O&B Chair and upcoming Board Member

10. Chris Shoemaker on June 18, 2010 at 8:06 pm said:

Just like Linda, I am terrible about wearing a badge. But for you, I’ll try. Chris Shoemaker, incoming Board Member.

11. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

12. Kim Patton on June 21, 2010 at 6:03 am said:

Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones!

13. I love meeting new people and touching base with old friends. Hope to do lots of both!
    Jen Hubert, outgoing Alex Award member, incoming Excellence in Nonfiction Chair.

14. Looking forward to seeing everyone in DC!

15. Priscille Dando on June 21, 2010 at 4:10 pm said:

Looking forward to conference in my town (we Northern Virginians claim DC as our own too). I can recommend great places for lunch, but you might want to verify my directions….

Also, I’m happy to take your donation for Friends of YALSA give $10 in ’10.

Priscille Dando–incoming Strategic Planning Chair & Board member; Financial Advancement Committee member

16. Sarajo Wentling on June 22, 2010 at 8:22 pm said:

Can’t wait to see everyone in D.C.!
    –Sarajo Wentling, outgoing Strategic Planning Chair and incoming O&B Chair.

Post Navigation