Fall Greetings! The YALSA board is busy preparing for the Symposium and the Executive Committee meeting. Please see the report below about my activities over the past month.
- Advocated for libraries at an ESSA listening session for the Illinois State Board of Education
- Lead the September monthly chat with the YALSA Board about membership survey results, strategic committee task lists, and quarterly reports
- Completed my registration for ALA Midwinter in Atlanta–have you?
- Filled the Selection List Transition Task Force and participated in calls with the chair
- Followed up with the YALSA representative to the annual IFLA conference–look for a blog post coming soon!
- Wrote welcome for printed symposium booklet
- Interviewed by a student for the Columbia Chronicle for article about the stigma of young adult literature
- Filled vacancies on various strategic committees
- Reminded the YALSA Board of a need to communicate with members–look for YALSA blog posts coming soon from each board member
- Led a YALSA board vote about recommending but not requiring a MLIS degree for the next ALA Executive Director
Works in Progress
- Developing the transition plan for the new way juries will work. Are you a YALSA member with time to serve on a virtual jury over the next few months? Volunteer here!
- Preparing for YALSA’s YA Services Symposium & Fall Executive Committee meeting
- Preparing for ALA Midwinter in Atlanta
- Answering questions and working with YALSA board members as they prepare board documents in the standing board committees
Stats and Data
- August Membership: 4973, down 2.2% from last year at this time
- August Donations: Raised $480 for Emerging Leader program
Join me for the next YALSA Town Hall meeting! It will be on Weds., November 16, from 5-6 ET via the online Zoom platform. Look for access information coming soon in the November weekly enews or email firstname.lastname@example.org for login information.
THANK YOU to the awesome YALSA Board members who have been hard at work in their standing board committees to make positive changes that will result in improved library services to teens!
THANK YOU to all our members for all that you do to support teens and teen library services in your communities!
Sarah Hill, YALSA President 2016-2017