YALSA seeks up to ten members to volunteer their time as teen programming Content Experts, especially those with expertise in STEAM, school libraries, ESL, community engagement, outcomes/evaluation, teen-led programming, and serving underserved youth, for its online database, Teen Programming HQ.
Content Experts will work with the site’s Member Manager to vet all incoming program submissions and determine which meet the necessary criteria for being featured on the site. As part of this effort, Content Experts will be expected to give timely, constructive feedback to individuals regarding their program submissions. Content Experts will also participate as “content creators” and submit new content (programs) to the site. Content Experts will be expected to submit one program per month.
Additionally, Content Experts will provide advice and drive discussion in the HQ’s Q & A forum. Content Experts should also feel comfortable with social media and have an understanding that marketing the website will be a crucial part of their role in order to solicit content submissions to the site.
List of Qualifications for Content Experts:
- Membership in YALSA and a passion for YALSA’s mission
- Thorough knowledge of best practices in teen programming, especially as outlined in YALSA’s Teen Programming Guidelines and report, “The Future of Library Services for and with Teens: a Call to Action”
- Strong background in engaging teens and community partners to plan, implement and evaluate innovative and impactful programs for and with teens that meet their developmental, educational and recreational interests
- Expertise in STEAM, school libraries, ESL, community engagement, outcomes/evaluation, teen-led programming, and serving underserved youth, is a plus
- Ability to devote a minimum of 1-2 hours per week for 6 continuous months to the HQ
- Excellent written communications skills and good netiquette
- Respond to Member Manager inquiries and vet programs in a timely manner
- Successful experience in coaching, mentoring and/or teaching other adults
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Ability to work well in a virtual setting, including using tools such as Google Drive, Google Calendar, Skype, Zoom, etc. to coordinate work and communicate with others
- Ability to navigate social media tools to promote the HQ
- High ethical standards and no real or perceived conflict of interest with YALSA or its portfolio of print and web publications
- Dynamic and self-motivated
Up to ten Content Experts will be selected. Candidates must complete the online application form by no later than April 1, 2019. Eligibility requirements apply. Please note this is a volunteer opportunity. The term of appointment is six months beginning May 1, 2019.
The mission of the site is to provide a one-stop-shop for finding and sharing information about programs of all kinds designed for and with teens. The site promotes best practices in programming by featuring user-submitted programs that align with YALSA’s Teen Programming Guidelines and Futures Report.
The site also enables dissemination of timely information about emerging and new practices for teen programming; raise awareness about appropriate YALSA tools to facilitate innovation in teen programming; and provide a means for members and others interested in teen programs to connect with one another to support and share their efforts to continuously improve their teen programs. Learn more about the Teen Programming HQ at http://hq.yalsa.net.