With the start of Spring, (at least where I am-it felt like it!) this month did seem like the start of new beginnings! The Board held a virtual Retreat at the end of the month. We were able to share what is working and how we can use additional support as we move forward and welcome in new members in a few short months! As my presidency winds down-it also ramps up within the last few months-with Annual conference on its way! I hope to see a lot of you in person-and online-as well. Here’s a summary of what I was up to this month:
- Attended ALA Executive Spring Board Meeting in Chicago. It was such an honor to speak in front of the Board alongside YALSA Interim ED, LaMoya Burks! I even got to have lunch with Sam Helmick, Liaison to YALSA! They are here to support our needs to the Board.
- Working with YALSA Board in focusing in on recommendations made by the EDI Task Force report; Promoting Professional Success for Underrepresented Groups Within YALSA. Some of the areas we’re pinpointing are doing a blind review of scholarships and grants and expanding outreach for membership
- Held virtual YALSA Board Retreat (as mentioned above) to reset and make sure our foundation is in a good place to continue forth into next year after Annual
- Reviewed Board Fellow applicants. The Board chose YALSA member Morgan Brickey-Jones! She has a solid record of participating in several YASA committees as well as state-wide in Texas. She’s excited to take on a totally different role than she’s had before!
- Worked on reaching out to incoming Board Members (Congratulations Colleen, Joel, Matthew, Melissa, and Josie!)
- Appointed positions to the Accessibility Assembly and Social Media Marketing Strategic Committee
- Held virtual Board Chat, weekly meetings with Interim ED, and President’s Taskforce meeting
- Gearing up for ALA Annual 2022!
Any questions or comments, feel free to email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kelly Czarnecki (she/her)