It’s that time of year again! As YALSA President-Elect, I’ll make appointments for the following YALSA committees and taskforces:
- 2016 YA Services Symposium Marketing & Planning Taskforce
- 2017 Award Nominating Committee
- 2017 Governance Nominating Committee
- Alex Awards
- ALSC/BOOKLIST/YALSA Odyssey Award
- Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults*
- Midwinter Marketing & Local Arrangements Committee (2017 in Atlanta)
- Midwinter Paper Presentation Planning Committee
- Morris Award 2017
- Selection and Award Committees Oversight Committee
- Best Fiction for Young Adults
- Great Graphic Novels
- Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults*
- Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers
*Please note that the PPYA and Amazing Audiobooks Committees are virtual. YALSA members with book selection and evaluation experience and who are comfortable working in an online environment with tools like ALA Connect, Google Docs, Skype, etc. should put their names forward for consideration.
Past-President Chris Shoemaker noted in his blog post last month that the YALSA Board adopted a new policy about serving on YALSA award committees (Alex, Edwards, Morris, Nonfiction, Odyssey & Printz). Beginning Feb. 1, 2016, any individual who has served on any YALSA award committee will need to wait two years before they are eligible to serve on another YALSA award committee.
If you have been on selection and award committees before, please consider volunteering for the new Selection and Award Committees Oversight Committee (more info can be found in this board document). This new committee needs experienced YALSA members to serve as liaisons and to standardize policies and procedures for selection and award committees.
The Fine Print
- Eligibility: To be considered for an appointment, you must be a current personal member of YALSA and submit a Committee Volunteer form by Oct. 1, 2015. If you are appointed, service will begin on Feb. 1, 2016.
- If you are currently serving on a selection or award committee and you are eligible to and interested in serving for another term, you must fill out a volunteer form for this round (so I know you’re still interested and want to do serve another term)
- Qualifications: Serving on a committee or taskforce is a significant commitment. Please review the resources on this web page before you submit a form to make sure that committee work is a good fit for you at this point in time.
- Need more information? Click on the links above. Check out the Committee FAQ. Watch the Selection Committee Webinar.
- Please free to contact me with any questions or issues at gsarahthelibrarian at gmail .com.
Thanks for volunteering with YALSA!