YALSA is seeking program proposals and paper presentations for its 2014 Young Adult Literature Symposium, Keeping it Real: Finding the True Teen Experience in YA Literature, to be held’ October 31 â€“ November 2, 2014′ in Austin, TX.
YALSA’s 2014 Young Adult Literature Symposium will gather together librarians, educators, researchers, authors and publishers to explore what’s â€˜real’ in the world of teen literature. ‘ Join YALSA as we discuss what is â€˜real’ in YA lit.
- In what ways is young adult literature reflecting the real and amazing diversity of today’s 42 million teens and it what ways has it fallen short?
- Who are today’s teens, really?
- What are the â€˜real’ issues that they want and need to read about, and how do they want to read about them?
- Why are realistic teen experiences in books sometimes controversial when they accurately portray a young person’s life?
- How are the evolving areas of identity and sex(uality) being explored in YA literature and nonfiction?’ Read More →